37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title - I was wondering if such a thing existed.

What brought this up was the difference between the app version of Acid Arrow and the physical version. In the app, it awards the player the Arcane die + d10 + 1 whereas the actual card is just Arcane die + 2d4 (and as far as I can tell, it's not errata that hasn't been fixed).

Perhaps this is splitting hairs or some other cliche more apt in this sentence, but it seems that the official app version of a game should mirror the physical version...shouldn't it? This would reduce or eliminate confusion I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Candle of OPness is a banish, not a bury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out these blog's from Paizo's website:

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5li9h?Whats-New-With-Obs...
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5likm?Obsidian-Gets-Diff...

They mention Toxic Cloud and Levitate/Stride as cards they changed and why. It usually has to do with implementation and having the game interrupt you in order to ask if you want to play a card. Imagine if Ezren had Levitate in his hand in a 6 player game. Every time someone pressed the button to end their turn, it would have to pause and ask Ezren if he wanted to play Levitate. That might get old fast. So they replaced it with Stride, accomplishing mostly the same thing, though in not quite the same way.

Vic Wertz explains the change to Holy Candle here:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2tmks&page=3?RotR-available-on-A...

As for a list of cards that are different, I haven't seen an official comprehensive one, but it would include:

Holy Candle
Toxic Cloud
Stride (Levitate)
Haste (probably, I haven't acquired this one yet)
Acid Arrow

There are also some rule differences, at least for now. For example, you can't choose not to attempt to acquire a boon in the app right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The physical game has never crashed or gotten into an unplayable state for me after many play sessions.

The digital game has more types Boons and Banes because it's easy to add things like "rusted armor" or "sharp sword" etc. There are some pen-and-paper mechanics that don't translate well to the digital realm, so complaining's a bit like saying a movie wasn't exactly like the book it's based on (or vice versa). Different mediums require different techniques, and that's setting aside situations where the different projects were being done simultaneously and changes might not be fully communicated (I'm calling this out for movie-book analogy not PACG the app which clearly came out later.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They also slightly changed some monster abilities to make them easier to implement in a digital format.

* The 'before you act, make a XXX check or you can't play YYY' type checks are re-worded to something like 'before you play a YYY card, make a XXX check'
When the app first released, encountering one of these cards forced all players to make the required check up-front, which was super annoying. In the re-worded version, characters only make the check at the moment they attempt to play one of the restricted cards (typically Weapons and Spells with Attack trait).

In general, playing the campaign mode via the App (with the treasure cards disabled) should be like 95% identical to playing the campaign in the physical game. A handful of cards were re-balanced or slightly modified, but it should not be a major difference to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in adventure 3 and later, when you banish basic (and elite) cards, they go back in the box instead of being banished permanently. Basic/elite have the probablility of being chosen for later scenarios reduced, but there is always a chance that a basic card will reappear even though it has been banished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Major difference is that the app unlocks a free Quest mode, where the app will randomly generate an adventure. Free adventure? Um... Sure! Tabletop have has some fanmade storylines and adventures.

Also, if you like to grind, the game has Daily Missions (?) which have objectives (eg. Evade 15 encounters) that get you gold to BUY MOAR STUFF. Not sure if it's easier to Mission-grind than complete the Scenarios, though.

paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lit2?Simply-the-Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.