BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Thematic & Dark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get a game that plays well with 2p that's thematically rich and has a theme which is something dark e.g. sauron vampires/cthulhu googoo etc

We've tried Fury of Dracula but didn't enjoy it 2p, it felt like one person's turn was much longer than the other and they had too much to micromanage. In order to keep my turns short as the investigators I found myself paying little attention to what each character was doing and what equipment they had.

Eldritch Horror I've not played but while I keep almost buying it, I see reviews from GeekBuddies which state that it's a sprawling game with considerable setup time but where your actions feel rather hollow and the game plays itself.

Pandemic Cthulhu I've also looked keenly at but people say it's very light, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if there is some depth of decision making and replayability. I've never played a co-op game, I'm worried about this alpha player syndrome. If one gamer is much more experienced than the other is this likely to be a big problem?

Arkham Horror is probably "too much".

Mansions of Madness, price tag is hefty, reluctant to spend that much but if it's such a good game I might. I gotta say I didn't enjoy Descent 2 too much because I felt like it was too much of a strategy game and not enough of an adventure. It was almost like playing Bloodbowl with giant monsters in narrow corridors, getting in everyone's way and smashing people to the floor over and over like Apollo Creed.

New Arkham LCG, is playing a co-op card game even fun? It sounds a bit... weird. Like sat there revealing each dungeon card one by one to find out what happens to my deck of cards might make me question what I'm doing with my life and want to go outside and play in the sunshine.

Zombicide is a nope, it looks too fighty and not intriguing.

Dead of Winter looks awesome but not 2p.

Study In Emerald, looks interesting, but probably not 2p either.

Elder Sign maybe too light and easy? Not sure.

Tyrants of the Underdark the D&D theme doesn't knock my socks off but it's ok, if the game is really special and works well 2p this could be a possibility.

London Dread / Fate of the Elder Gods / The Others 7 Sins, I don't think any of these are released yet? Anyone excited about any of these?

Dungeon Petz/Lords my GeekBuddies don't seem to think much of either of these games.

I'm open to suggestions! Help please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter is overrated as hell. Each game is a variation of the same thing, collect X whatever.

Eldritch Horror is a constant race against time and the setup time statement is false if you know what you're doing. It's my third favorite Lovecraft game after Elder Sign and Cthulhu Wars, but each is very different.

If you want dark, save up and buy Kingdom Death. It's THE GAME that really meets your description. Don't settle on euro-inspired mechanics or dungeon crawler investigation... get the pure, unadulterated madness where something like harvesting herbs can result in you getting devoured by a giant weed monster, and lightning storms may cause one of your characters to stare at the lights before going crazy and running off into the darkness, never to be heard from again. There's nothing like it. It's gorey perfection, well worth the price of admission, telling a great story each campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Quote:
Elder Sign maybe too light and easy? Not sure.

I've not found Elder Sign to be too easy... maybe too fiddley though when compared to just firing up the app

Some more that come to mind, although I haven't played them
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Dark Gothic
The Cards of Cthulhu
Nightfall - This one I have played and find enjoyable. It is "complete" though (no new sets are being developed) and some of the sets are a bit hard to find now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My version of Eldritch Horror must be faulty, it keeps losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign with Gates of Arkham expansion. I hear it's hard. Not that light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia perhaps? Plastic minis and a dark theme and is for 2 players specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:

It's not that it's too hard, it's that people say the choices you have during each game are limited and have only a minor effect on how the game plays out.

I've looked at all the suggested games. That Kingdom Death seems to be unavailable and very expensive lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming if possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Jorath wrote:

It's not that it's too hard, it's that people say the choices you have during each game are limited and have only a minor effect on how the game plays out.

I've looked at all the suggested games. That Kingdom Death seems to be unavailable and very expensive lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming if possible!

The choices you have are... move efficiently, move inefficiently, buy things. But there's more than that. You want to be controlling "areas" of the map, definitely working towards what the current mystery is. If you don't, you'll lose. If you don't sometimes deviate to take care of some gates, you'll lose. If you commit too much time chasing gates, you'll lose.

Compared to Pandemic, it's a veritable treasure trove of choice.

Elder Sign with either the Arctic expansion or Gates of Arkham are great, and pretty tough. The Arctic one is waaaay more themey.

But look, yes, KDM is expensive. That's why I said save, man. Save! Because it's worthwhile. It's a chance, but it's definitely a grail sort of game. And resale will be way better than practically any other game you might pick up if you decide you don't like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how dark you're willing to get:

Ferox is a wonderfully savage and tense two-player game inspired by 1980s cannibal horror movies. Slaughter, brutality, and tension abound. It's super fun, takes about an hour to play, and the guys at Craft Fair Games are top-notch humans.

If you can track it down: Psycho Raiders is hopefully the closest experience you'll ever have to being tracked down and brutally murdered by a vanful of masked psychopaths. Plays well with two but can accommodate more.

I haven't played Camp Grizzly yet but I'd really like to do so. Not sure how it plays with two.

Speaking personally, I love love love narrative/thematic games and have a fondness for themes that push the envelope. While I do enjoy longer games like Arkham Horror, I feel that games that run too long or have too many moving pieces distract from the visceral experience. Arkham can be a fun way to spend an evening but the downtime and length keep me from feeling actual tension. In contrast, I think something like Claustrophobia (a recommendation I absolutely second, if you've got a big table) keeps me in the action: it plays in about an hour and every move I make seems critically, lethally important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:

If you want dark, save up and buy Kingdom Death. It's THE GAME that really meets your description. Don't settle on euro-inspired mechanics or dungeon crawler investigation... get the pure, unadulterated madness where something like harvesting herbs can result in you getting devoured by a giant weed monster, and lightning storms may cause one of your characters to stare at the lights before going crazy and running off into the darkness, never to be heard from again. There's nothing like it. It's gorey perfection, well worth the price of admission, telling a great story each campaign.

This just pushed me over the fence. KDM looks so freaking cool and it's been on my radar for so long. I am now going to start saving up to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
I've not found Elder Sign to be too easy... maybe too fiddley though when compared to just firing up the app

It is a spectacular app adaptation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more expensive than a lot of games but Space Hulk (fourth edition) is amazing, crazy thematic, and dark and scary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Theseus: The Dark Orbit?

I've played with 2-5 players and 2 is by far the best. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this was designed as a 2 player only game that was adapted to handle more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to both Psycho Raiders and Cave Evil. Both are difficult to find but if you want thematic, dark, and 2P, they both fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the recommendations, I have checked them all out. One thing I should clarify is when I say dark I mean more occult than murdering psychopaths! Not that I have anything against murdering psychopaths but the game is one for my girlfriend and she loves occult and Tim Burtonesque stuff. She'd love the look of Gloom but I don't think it's that great. Cthulhu or vampires or ghosts or weird dark fantasy art, anything like that is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go with Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. (y)

Some of these games have made it onto my shortlist though, so thank you all again. Another game I thought of for anyone interested is:

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.