3 Posts

Giga-Robo!» Forums » Variants

Subject: SPAAAACE! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I mentioned having this idea in the KS comments, but the more I think about it, the more I think of ideas for how to make it work. I started out just thinking "this sounds awesome", and hoping for an expansion. But now, I have what feels like an ALMOST fleshed-out concept.

Feel free to pick apart my ideas.

First off, there is no ground in space (clearly). In order to kind of simulate 3D-ness, the game already has 3 elevation levels, so I'm going to run with that. In place of having to use buildings, though, players can freely change elevation at any time, by spending movement or by having boost active. The lack of buildings will, of course, be replaced with asteroids and wreckage (maybe some satellites), each placed at a randomly-determined elevation*. As a stand-in, the current impact deck is suitable.

Craters and rubble would both be replaced with debris fields, which function like rubble (+defense, +movement cost) for simplicity's sake. Infernos would be flaming debris, arc hazards are charged asteroid fragments and exposed power coils or similar things from a destroyed ship/satellite, and floods would be the resulting water spray and ice fragments from a destroyed ice asteroid.

And now, there's only one thing left which could get in the way of a coherent ruleset... what do we do to combat advantage and cover? Higher = advantage doesn't make sense with no gravity. As such, I think combat advantage benefits from separate rules for melee vs. ranged. The cleanest shots for ranged attacks are when you have open space, and no obstacles to get in the way of your attack. By contrast, the best melee attacks in space-based robot battles are the ones where you appear from behind an asteroid as you're attacking (or just smash through it).

First, determine if there are any obstacles obstructing clear line of sight. Draw a line which includes both your hex and your opponent's, and touches every hex in a straight line between the two. Any hex, both players' hexes included, on the line is checked. If the line passes between 2 hexes, count both. Any obstacle needs to be within the range of elevations between the 2 players to count (if one robot is at elevation 2, and the other at 3, elevation 1 obstacles may be ignored).

Melee attacks get combat advantage when there IS an obstacle. Ranged attacks get advantage from having no obstacles.

For cover, you need an obstacle on an adjacent hex and at the same elevation as yourself, in direct line of your opponent's attack.

*To randomise elevations: Roll D6, divide by 2, round up. Or roll D12, divide by 4, round up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great idea!

I think it's Antimatter Games that have bases for different levels. Not sure if they go as high as three levels of elevation but they could be useful for playing in space.

Now all we need is the whale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
You'd only need 2 height-adjusting bases. No base = 1, low base = 2, high base = 3

Alternatively just have a coin you can place on the base of each robot. If it's not there, elevation 2. Heads +1, tails -1. Or use double-sided tokens of any variety you have spare. Or a piece of paper with "+1" and "-1" on opposite sides.

Also super-giant space whale would cross multiple elevation levels. Because SPACE WHALE. probably a multi-hex base, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.