18 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Playtime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Curious what the playtime has been for you? Me and my girl are new to this game. We played the first scenario (90 min according to the app)with one investigator each. Took us about 5 hours to complete it. Much because we took it slow with rules rereading in some parts to clarify, and reading the text in the app. Next time sure it will be much faster.

How does the playtime scale with more investigators? Hope that the future expansions contaion also short scenarios that you can beat within two hours. Not everyone can spend a whole day playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a crazy long time for the first scenario. I played the first scenario with a full group of 5 who had never played before, and it only took us 2 hours for us to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've generally found the play times listed on the app to be pretty accurate.

But then I was a playtester for this game, so I guess the play times on the app are what they are at least partly because that's how long it took me to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first scenario 3 times. Solo, two players, and 3 players (2 new). 2.5 hours was the longest length of time and that was with ALOT of strategizing in the 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hmm could it be that the playtime is actually shorter with more players as its faster to reach the different parts of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two hours for me and my wife the first time we played the first scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don_pers wrote:
Hmm could it be that the playtime is actually shorter with more players as its faster to reach the different parts of the map?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Flaviorbs wrote:
Don_pers wrote:

No.

Ok so besides more monster what else does a scenario with more players include?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don_pers wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
Don_pers wrote:

No.

Ok so besides more monster what else does a scenario with more players include?

Often, fewer rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 2 took us about 3 hours, with several stops for rules checking and caring for a baby (actually, the app crashed, but we were about to lose but also close-ish to finishing our goals), so I'd say that's pretty accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo, but I've found the suggested play times to be pretty spot on. As I mentioned in another thread, I actually completed the 4th scenario in around 3 hours, which is less than the 240-360 minutes it suggests. I play fairly quickly when it's just me, though.

Tomorrow I will be playing this with 3 people and I'll have us run through the first scenario, so I'm curious to see how it pans out. One advantage would be that I know the rules very well now, so that will remove any rulebook searching. However, I won't be making any major decisions because I want my friends to be able to work through the scenario themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
First scenario, five players, lots of reading out loud, enjoying the game, discussing some rules = 5,5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Glad to see we were not the only ones passing 5 hours lol. Maybe its a swedish thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first scenario 3 times now with different player counts. Solo: 3 hours, 2 players: 3 hours, 4 players: 4 hours.

Especially the huge amount of monsters takes a lot of time to manage. Do you guys actualy read the flavour text or do you only look at what skill to test?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read all the flavour text out loud. We only skip the text if it's something like the text for a monster attack where we've read that same text before during the same session (so we don't skip often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
I read all the flavour text out loud. We only skip the text if it's something like the text for a monster attack where we've read that same text before during the same session (so we don't skip often).

Wonder if it's worth them bolding the text for what you need to do on these?

The flavour text/actions are separated quite well I guess but still, simple addition at an eyes glance.

First scenario took 5 of us 3~4 hours. We might have interpreted horror check a bit wrong, we did it regardless of LOS. 4 of us were insane by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
took me about 2 hours with having to still check through the rules, playing solo and controlling two characters.

5 hours seems extreme for 2 players, unless you guys really like to AP it and plan out possibilities that can pan out in 5-10 moves.

You have to also keep in mind that the scenarios are time/turn limited so the only thing that can drag out the length of the game is how long it takes you to finish your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players, first time, including rules briefing but excluding set up, three and a half hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.