Subject: Power of the Sun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/africa/ared-solar-charging-kio...

I am not sure the technology would have great use here, where a power plug, or car plug is usually easily available, but for some parts of Africa, I can see the merits of what the young gent offers. And I always find it interesting that those at the lowest rung of the economic ladder, typically demonstrate the biggest drive to succeed. Being born at the poverty level leaves little room to go except up, kudos to this gent for pursuing his dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how did he get a university place when they have to be paid for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
That's pretty cool. And Andre, as to your point about the impoverished coming up with good ideas, well, necessity is the mother of invention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
I always find it interesting that those at the lowest rung of the economic ladder, typically demonstrate the biggest drive to succeed.

I assume you are not talking about the people in the USA ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
abadolato01 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/africa/ared-solar-charging-kio...

I am not sure the technology would have great use here, where a power plug, or car plug is usually easily available, but for some parts of Africa, I can see the merits of what the young gent offers. And I always find it interesting that those at the lowest rung of the economic ladder, typically demonstrate the biggest drive to succeed. Being born at the poverty level leaves little room to go except up, kudos to this gent for pursuing his dreams.

Cool idea...I've seen similar from India and Brazil, I think, but good idea.

Those nations (mostly) are able to skip the wire infrastructure of phone lines, which on balance is a good thing.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
I always find it interesting that those at the lowest rung of the economic ladder, typically demonstrate the biggest drive to succeed.

I assume you are not talking about the people in the USA ?

Why would you assume that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.