Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman J
United Kingdom
Thurso
Caithness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early January 1933 Pacific Fleet reached the Philippines and defeated Japanese Navy in conclusive sea battle. This could not be done, without submarine force which was the only fighting force by most of year 1932.

So here is my campaign report.

I was able to sink 289000 tonnes of shipping in 76 ships. I manage to loose only 4 submarines and sunk aircraft carrier.
Result: Victory

I was lucky enough to sunk CV Hosho, with S-2 submarine. It was a lucky shoot with only 10% chance and I rolled 0. Other warships sunk are: CA 9t Kako (another lucky S boat shoot) and Kinugasa (only success of Leviathan, exept three more small marus), CL 5t Naka and DD 1t Sawarabi (hit by crossing torpedo path).

It was a quite frustrating campaign, mostly because of S boats, which are unable to hit most of the time. I put high hopes into Leviathan and tried to sink another CV, but she had a very poor contact rolls (mostly green or yellow). Torpedo status stayed at -1 all campaign. Phillipines where invaded but Manila never felled. Dutch entered war just 3 weeks before end of campaign and they where able to patrol in last turn of the game.

This was my first campaign with IJN expansion, and here are my observations:
- IJN DD anti-sub value are mostly 1/2, which created very low danger comparing to SW war-mix counters. So I was able to reattack almost every time, and lost only 4 boats because of that. My proposal is to drop campaign result rise bonus for low number of lost submarines to compensate this. I did played this campaign before without IJN and I was defeated badly because of that (9 subs lost, 189000 tonnes sunk, no capital ships). So 0-6 subs lost no adjustment, 7-15 lower one level, more then 15 lower two levels. You have to remember lower ant-sub value also means more chance to hit, and that means more tonnage sunk. With this change My victory result would be DRAW, which would be more appropriate in my feeling.
-Other suggestion is to actualy connect war-mix counters to specific warships. So CV 10t is only CV Hosho if sunk treat as empty counter rule [IJN 3.41], but no other CV is draw on its place. CV kaga is a Kaga and Akagi only. Also the BB should treated same way, BB 32t should only draw from Kongo class IJN counters, BB 40t from Mutsu/Nagaro, etc.
-Gunnery combat. I recommend using the damage rows shown in gunnery event as it is, but only for 1-4t targets. If you shelling bigger target, lower your chance by number of rows respectively. Example S-class submarines make gun attack in 26-35 row only at 1-4t targets. If your target is 16t tanker that is two rows under 1-4t, lower your attack row by two as well. So that would be 56+ attack row.

I really enjoyed this campaign and I will repeat it after some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
ubi bene ibi patria
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. What was the time horizon for your session? Did you had the game on table all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman J
United Kingdom
Thurso
Caithness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did played game with physical components (no vassal used), few turns per day and 34 turns of the campaign took me about two weeks. I'm a lucky to have a spare room for gaming so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.