Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My FLGS is closing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Anderson
msg tools
I found out yesterday, via my FLGS's Facebook page, that the store will close at the end of September. This makes me really sad, as the store is both very local, as in about five blocks from my apartment, and truly friendly. Since I live in Chicago, I will have other game store options, but the closing store, Wanderers' Refuge, is the only one that really felt welcoming & where I felt like part of a community.

I feel kind of bad for not buying more stuff there lately, but it's not like I could have bought enough games to single-handedly keep the store open, and I had no idea the store wasn't making it until I saw the post yesterday. And it's not like I was buying board games elsewhere; I was just spending my discretionary income on my other hobbies.

I stopped by after work yesterday & the owner & some regulars were having a bit of a wake for the store, so I ended up staying there a lot longer than I had originally planned to.

I'm extremely saddened that this is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough break. soblue But...will they be selling their remaining stock at a discount? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
Soleia wrote:
Tough break. soblue But...will they be selling their remaining stock at a discount? arrrh

I imagine so, but it seemed too soon to ask. While I'm pretty sure that will happen, I went ahead and bought some stuff at full price last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is always hard to see. Based on the comments on Facebook, it sounds like this store made an impact.

I hope the owners are able to close the doors in the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
Thanks, the store definitely had an impact, and I share your hope about closing in the black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad to hear about Wanderer's Refuge. I was only over there a couple times, but it seemed like a nice little shop. I do have friends who live closer and go there more frequently. I know they must be very sad to see it close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagoviking wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I imagine so, but it seemed too soon to ask. While I'm pretty sure that will happen, I went ahead and bought some stuff at full price last night.

Good for you. thumbsup Hope all goes well for the owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boldl wrote:
Have they contacted Asmodee to see if they can help?

Lol, what are they going to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
boldl wrote:

Raise their prices ? That's the only actual thing they did besides publishing deliberately confusing press releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
boldl wrote:

Raise their prices ? That's the only actual thing they did besides publishing deliberately confusing press releases.

This statement is completely true, if you ignore everything but that.

Regardless, this is hardly the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Riley
msg tools
This is my FLGS. In fact, when I was looking to rent a new apartment, I knew I wanted to be closer to the store. As luck would have it, the top floor apartment directly above the store became available and I moved into that. I was at the store when Eric came by and was one of the folks at the "wake."

This really is a devastating loss for those of us who called the store "home" and it will be missed. The owner has gone several years with very little monthly income (her monthly profit was less than a week of my salary). But, it was never going to be about the money.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have a FLGS that you can go to, please support them buy making your purchases from them. While there are many other avenues that can often be easier on your wallet, the impact your FLGS can have on its customers and what will go away if the store closes down is HUGE.

Support your FLGS. Your dollars can make a huge impact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.