BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Trump claims comments were "sarcasm" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/12/politics/donald-trump-obama-cl...

---

OK so wait... Sarcasm?

Let's see what experts in the English language have to say about this...

Quote:
For this to be sarcasm, he would have to be Mocking Russia's ability to hack Hilary's emails. Saying sarcastically "I hope you can find..." would mean that you actually know that they couldn't possibly find them, and are laughing at them for their poor intelligence. He's laughing at Russia here. Why, in the middle of an attack on Hilary, stop to take a pop at Russia's inability to hack high level US government communication? That doesn't make sense, especially since nobody really knows how good the Russians are at hacking emails. They're probably fairly state-of-the-art I suspect - perhaps not quite as good as the NSA but certainly not bad.

Similarly, if the statement that Obama founded ISIS is sarcasm, what's the intended point? Imagine someone saying sarcastically to another person, in the most sarcastic voice you can imagine, "You founded ISIS". What's the opposite of this that they're really saying? Is it "You're so noble that you would never do somethign so awful" - doesn't make sense in the context of an attack. Is it "You're so incompetent you couldn't even start a grassroots radical muslim army?" That seems pretty implausible too - it's a very odd example to choose.

So, outrageous, baseless, boneheaded: yes. Joke? Maybe. Sarcastic? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump is not fooling anyone with the explanation, laughs, that man is putting his foot in his mouth at every turn, and losing the Presidency in the process. I am not too sure he has managed to sway any "non-believers", since Cruz and Kasich dropped out and he became the apparent nominee. His whole strategy was impressive at winning the party nomination, but the general election is a different animal, and his "strong" personality is shining thru now, much to the dismay of fellow Repubs. There are only about 100 days to the election, but if he keeps going the way he is going, he will be embarassed in the general election, much like Romney and McCain were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fair for Romney to lose. Trump needs to be crushed to prevent the risk of another strongman candidate anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't necessarily buy it but you know the one crazy comment that seemed sarcastic to me was the 2nd amendment comment. If A dem said what Trump said about that I would totally think the comment was mocking the gun/conspiracy theory nut jobs. Since Trump said it, I have no idea. It was just such a weird thing to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this is in fact more disengenousness, but not about him believing evil crap.

Like the second Amendment comment I think he just spurts out ill thought out rambling nonsense and rather then admit he was just talking bollocks (and had no idea what he in fact was saying) he is putting it down to attempts at humour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
galad2003 wrote:
I don't necessarily buy it but you know the one crazy comment that seemed sarcastic to me was the 2nd amendment comment. If A dem said what Trump said about that I would totally think the comment was mocking the gun/conspiracy theory nut jobs. Since Trump said it, I have no idea. It was just such a weird thing to say.

I think he was just joking about dastardly Clinton requiring 2nd amendment solutions but if I was a gun/conspiracy theory nut job hearing that I'd think it would be pretty clear that he was separating himself from me when he's supposed to be right there with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the tactic of trolls and bullies everywhere: say something outrageous, offensive, or insulting; when called on it, say "I was just kidding! Jeez, can't you guys take a joke?"

Whenever someone says "Just kidding!", it's code for "I really meant that." In the same way that "Not to sound racist, but..." is code for "I'm about to say something totally racist."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump is the kind of speaker who, when he shoots from the hip he shoots himself in the foot then puts his foot in his mouth.

There is some mental imagery for y'all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Trump is the kind of speaker who, when he shoots from the hip he shoots himself in the foot then puts his foot in his mouth.

There is some mental imagery for y'all.

And then blame the LIB MEDIA for the shot, the bleeding, and the disinfecting-via-facehole-insertion, and the 712635126 relitigating tweets about it afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the manatee wrote:
It's the tactic of trolls and bullies everywhere: say something outrageous, offensive, or insulting; when called on it, say "I was just kidding! Jeez, can't you guys take a joke?"

Whenever someone says "Just kidding!", it's code for "I really meant that." In the same way that "Not to sound racist, but..." is code for "I'm about to say something totally racist."

I like the term 'Schrodinger's Asshole.' Or 'Schrodinger's Jerk,' if you prefer the PG version that doesn't make you think about a specific person's anus.

Some useless asshole says something shitty, and then waits to see what reaction it gets. If the listeners are also assholes and the bit lands, the speaker plays it straight and celebrates his asshole status. If the audience rankles, he plays the cowardly "lighten up!" card and pretends to be joking.

The fact that a major-party Presidential candidate is essentially a Reddit troll is just incredibly dispiriting. Thanks to decades of conservative dog-whistles and anti-intellectual rhetoric, we now have a possible future President that is essentially an ambulatory YouTube comments section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Heh, remember when 2008 when the biggest rallying cry of RSP conservatives was "Empty Suit"? Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Heh, remember when 2008 when the biggest rallying cry of RSP conservatives was "Empty Suit"? Good times.

And nipple counts. That was fucking hilarious.
Oh, and we were supposed to be scared of Palin or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Jeremy identifies a set of alleged Clinton misdeeds.

1. Leaked US Security Secrets - inconsistent with the FBI report - REJECT
2. Got People Killed at Benghazi - inconsistent with Congressional reports - REJECT
3. Corruptly Rigged Primary - inconsistent with leaked emails - REJECT
4. Has Multpile Enemies Die Mysteriously - thoroughly debunked by Snopes, among others - REJECT

The Snake Oil Salesman has proposed having the US military kill innocent members of terrorists' families, trying US civilians in miltary courts, courted Putin and North Korea, expressed support for the use of nuclear weapons, maliciously attacked a federal court judge for ruling against him in one of his thousands of civil cases, proposed banning certain US citizens from returning to the US on the basis of their religion, ad nauseum.

Jeremy defends the Snake Oil Salesman by pointing out these are only words, not deeds. He's right - and if we vote to let the Snake Oil Salesman turn his words into deeds, we will be as culpable as he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Now they're marching behind a toxic waste dump with a bad rug, justifying it with truckloads of the relative privation fallacy featuring Clinton as a closet serial killer.

Can't wait for the 2020 election, where one of the nominees is a particularly dank Willy Wonka meme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
IMG

Saying mean things about people, or insulting them is one thing... but basically inviting people to assassinate someone knowing that you're a highly influential figurehead? That's taking it too far.

Whether it's a "joke", hyperbole, or propaganda... some crazy lunatic with a gun is going to take it seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
So Jeremy identifies a set of alleged Clinton misdeeds.

1. Leaked US Security Secrets - inconsistent with the FBI report - REJECT
2. Got People Killed at Benghazi - inconsistent with Congressional reports - REJECT
3. Corruptly Rigged Primary - inconsistent with leaked emails - REJECT
4. Has Multpile Enemies Die Mysteriously - thoroughly debunked by Snopes, among others - REJECT

The Snake Oil Salesman has proposed having the US military kill innocent members of terrorists' families, trying US civilians in miltary courts, courted Putin and North Korea, expressed support for the use of nuclear weapons, maliciously attacked a federal court judge for ruling against him in one of his thousands of civil cases, proposed banning certain US citizens from returning to the US on the basis of their religion, ad nauseum.

Jeremy defends the Snake Oil Salesman by pointing out these are only words, not deeds. He's right - and if we vote to let the Snake Oil Salesman turn his words into deeds, we will be as culpable as he is.

I'm beginning to buy into the 'con' theory of Trump's candidacy. Why refuse to campaign in swing states, or spend any serious amount of your own money -- and instead spend as much RNC cash as they're willing to give him? Why go to little effort, and prime every utterance to make as much media impact as possible with the latest dumbass thing you said?

It's to sell books and TV appearances and everything else you can after you lose - it's just the conservative gravy train taken to the nth degree. Only this might've been the goal from the beginning (I'm not quite sure), instead of the more typical revolving door between government/Fox gig.

So it may not be snake oil he's selling -- he's going to be marketing conservative victimhood right back at people after this is all over, assuming he's not in a crapload of trouble with the FTC and/or paying out big settlements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you all have different religious backgrounds or lack thereof, but my daughter shared a pair of verses that seem apt this election season:

Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says "I was only joking!"

-- Proverbs 26: 18-19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.