Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been in our house for about two years now and a handful of times we'd noticed a water stain on the downstairs ceiling which we couldn't figure out. But it was never really that bad.

Today there is a really big stain and it the cabinet under the sink is pretty wet. It looks like it might be the dishwasher leaking.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas how bad this is or how much it is likely to cost me to get it fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I use a sink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I just installed a dishwasher, so I'll give you my 3cents.

It is probably one of three things.

The drainage pipe from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal has come loose.

The hot water feed line from the sink to the dishwasher seal has gotten old.

Or, your disposal unit it leaking. Those tend to wear out and start leaking after several years.

The first two are pretty cheap $15-20 for a replacement line.

The third one is the garbage disposal unit, which run about $100.

All three are easily replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had one that leaked one time. There's a rather large part in the bottom "pan" of the dishwasher. It's basically a spinning motor with a series of water sprayers on top. There was a seal in between this part and the bottom "pan" which was supposed to be watertight. The seal wore down a little, causing the leak.

Your dishwasher may not have the same design, but it's another thing to look at and check. Our was still under warranty, so the part was replaced for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had an old DW that had a float to disable the fill cycle - well, the plastic shaft in side the float got scummed-up and would stick - allowing overfilling.

get this issue fixed soon regardless - everything needs to be thoroughly dried out before the stachybotrys starts growing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe this is a dumb question and not meant to be condescending but...

why haven't you just pulled it out and looked behind it?

My money is on one of the things Chapel mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

My money is on one of the things Chapel mentioned above.

This. Also the easiest/quickest check is under the sink but pulling out the dishwasher is next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I just installed a dishwasher, so I'll give you my 3cents.

It is probably one of tree things.

The drainage pipe from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal has come loose.

The hot water feed line from the sink to the dishwasher seal has gotten old.

Or, your disposal unit it leaking. Those tend to wear out and start leaking after several years.

The first two are pretty cheap $15-20 for a replacement line.

The third one is the garbage disposal unit, which run about $100.

All three are easily replaced.

Just to add another potential source for a leak is the dishwasher drain pump itself. Fairly easy to replace with simple hand tools (if you can access it without having to pull out the dishwasher) but a bit more costly than the water lines (probably in the $50 range).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not this problem specifically, but our dishwasher wasn't cleaning dishes properly a while ago, and it turned out the main washer thing at the bottom was just not screwed in tightly. Maybe just check that everything is tightly together. If you can't figure it out, look online for solutions, and if nothing else works, call a repairman.

Oftentimes, the solution is really simple if you know what you're doing, so the repairman might charge you an arm and a leg just to show you how to solve this simple problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

Honestly, I didn't even know how you'd pull it out. Although I've since identified two screws on the front bottom that I think are the only thing holding it in? So tonight when I have a little more time I'm going to pull it out and see what I can figure out. Looking at the hoses from under the sink, I can't see anything that looks odd, so maybe after pulling it out I'll be able to tell if something is obviously wrong.

I'm not very handyman-ish. I'm hoping it's simple enough for me to figure out, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Quote:
Oftentimes, the solution is really simple if you know what you're doing, so the repairman might charge you an arm and a leg just to show you how to solve this simple problem.
Yeah. Unfortunately, unless I can figure something out I might have to go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Taking a dishwasher out is not a huge deal.

Under the faucet:
1. turn off the water(hot and cold)
2. unplug the dishwasher(should be a bottom outlet)
3. detach the draingage tube from the garbage disposal

Then there are two screws that attach the DW to the counter, remove.

Usually there is two screw attaching the kick plate to the dishwasher, remove.

If you are lucky, the hot water line will be attached in the bottom front of the dishwasher that you can see once you remove the kickplate, and you can unbolt if from the dishwasher, if not, you may have to detach it from the water line under the faucet.

Once the power line, drainage line and hot water line is detached from the unit or unplugged, and the under counter screws are removed, you should be able to just roll it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I'm hoping it's simple enough for me to figure out, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Because you're on here (BGG) I'm assuming your a gamer and/or a geek with average or better intelligence. If it's an external plumbing issue, I have confidence in your chances in figuring it out, regardless of your mechanical abilities.

Plumbing is generally not that complex. Gross and not in the easiest places to squeeze into?...yes. complex?...no.

An internal issue might be tough though, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can probably find some generic dishwasher install, remove and maybe repair videos at youtube or vimeo.

If you're lucky, you may even find one specific to your model of DW.

good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Taking a dishwasher out is not a huge deal.

Under the faucet:
1. turn off the water(hot and cold)
2. unplug the dishwasher(should be a bottom outlet)

May be hard-wired; if so, find & shut off the breaker for the circuit the dishwasher is on before screwing with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So tonight when I have a little more time I'm going to pull it out and see what I can figure out.

I feel a little bit bad for checking your profile to see whether this was your last post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
So tonight when I have a little more time I'm going to pull it out and see what I can figure out.

I feel a little bit bad for checking your profile to see whether this was your last post.

lol!

maybe we should takes bets; A. electrocution B. floor collapse C. botulism
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, I guess I should confirm that I haven't died. I did get the dishwasher out... although I didn't realize there were side mounting brackets, so I ripped those out when I pulled the dishwasher out.

It looks like there might be a small leak in the drain hose assembly, and it also looks like the waterline got crushed by something at one point and that looks like it might be a large leak. It was kind of hard to tell. There's also some compartment on the side that looks like it has black gunk in it and I'm worried that it might be some nasty growth.

So between the unknown growth-y thing and the fact that I can't source the hose assembly locally, and just my general un-handiness, I've decided to call an appliance repair guy in to fix it. It'll be more expensive, but it's probably worth peace of mind just knowing that I won't have screwed something up when I put everything back in.

At this point, I just want to have it fixed and not have to worry about it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So yeah, I guess I should confirm that I haven't died. I did get the dishwasher out... although I didn't realize there were side mounting brackets, so I ripped those out when I pulled the dishwasher out.

It looks like there might be a small leak in the drain hose assembly, and it also looks like the waterline got crushed by something at one point and that looks like it might be a large leak. It was kind of hard to tell. There's also some compartment on the side that looks like it has black gunk in it and I'm worried that it might be some nasty growth.

So between the unknown growth-y thing and the fact that I can't source the hose assembly locally, and just my general un-handiness, I've decided to call an appliance repair guy in to fix it. It'll be more expensive, but it's probably worth peace of mind just knowing that I won't have screwed something up when I put everything back in.

At this point, I just want to have it fixed and not have to worry about it anymore.

you have to pick your battles; I once did $300 damage trying to change a $3 seal in a shower valve - probably erased almost all my DIY savings for 5-10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just heard from the appliance repair guy I called and apparently there is nobody in my area who does repairs on LG dishwashers. And the parts are hard to get. He told me that LG just has problems and that he just recommended that a friend not buy a LG refrigerator because it's so difficult to get repair parts.

So I'm having to request a repair through LG's website. And who knows when they'll get around to contacting me. This is just frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plus side at least it's a "luxury" item and you can do without it for a while. Would really suck if it was a stove/fridge/cloths washer etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So I just heard from the appliance repair guy I called and apparently there is nobody in my area who does repairs on LG dishwashers. And the parts are hard to get. He told me that LG just has problems and that he just recommended that a friend not buy a LG refrigerator because it's so difficult to get repair parts.

So I'm having to request a repair through LG's website. And who knows when they'll get around to contacting me. This is just frustrating.

have you checked Yelp.com or, know anyone that can check an Angies List account for a repair place?

Sometimes, the manufacturer's website has a way to refer you to a repairman for their brand. EDIT: try; http://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/find-repair-prov...

You mentioned a coupla possible leaks, but they seemed external to the washer itself....?

it's an LG - do you have a model number? should be on a sticker or plate - often only visible with the door open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
have you checked Yelp.com or, know anyone that can check an Angies List account for a repair place?
Yeah, I've done that, but unfortunately I'm in a somewhat rural area. According to the appliance repair guy I just spoke with there just aren't a lot of appliance repair people in the area, and the ones that are don't want to hassle with LG appliances.

1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Sometimes, the manufacturer's website has a way to refer you to a repairman for their brand.
Yeah, as mentioned, LG has a "Request a repair" function on their site. I imagine they'll send my name to a company that covers this area and eventually someone will contact me to set up an appointment.

1 Lucky Texan wrote:
You mentioned a coupla possible leaks, but they seemed external to the washer itself....?
One of the possible leaks is on a drain hose assembly, which I think, but am not sure, would need to be completely replaced if true. At least I couldn't figure out a way that the hose would come off the assembly without breaking it. The drain hose assembly is one of the parts that nobody local has. When I saw that the water hose also looked to be damaged and that there was some compartment with black gunk in it that looked sketchy, I got frustrated. I assume the water hose wouldn't be the hard to replace? But I don't even know what the black gunk compartment is and I'm a little worried that it has something growing in it... in which case I'd probably need that replaced. And not knowing what the compartment is, or how it would be removed/replaced, I realized I'm out of my depth.

1 Lucky Texan wrote:
it's an LG - do you have a model number? should be on a sticker or plate - often only visible with the door open.
I do. But I'm not sure how that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

[q="1 Lucky Texan"]it's an LG - do you have a model number? should be on a sticker or plate - often only visible with the door open.
I do. But I'm not sure how that helps.

oops - missed that you already contacted them.

You could search the net with the brand and model number for common leak complaints - might hit on something. Maybe even a video of a repair.

and ebay has been a good source of parts for me to keep my GE dryer running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.