Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this in my cooments section for the game, but it was just so long, so I thought I'd move it here.

I've been playing SBH and its assorted variants for I think 7 years now. It is my go to minis game for any genre.

To me this game is the perfect blend of crunch and flexibility, allowing you stat up a full ~5 member warband from scratch in about 15 minutes (once you are fairly familiar with the special abilities) and get playing right away. Even though it is designed for small warbands, with the leader rules, it is easy to play much larger groups as well (20 or more).

Play is fast and friendly (premeasuring is OK, use common sense with terrain, etc.) and the game allows for warband advances to play mini-campaigns.

The turnover mechanic takes a little getting used to, but makes sense in terms of the "recklessness" of the warband sometimes being rewarded and sometimes being punished.

The point system works well, being mostly balanced, but still possible to abuse as is any point system. It's not to hard to make up your own special rules, but with the Gold and Darkness and Wind and Water expansions, you have most of what you would need.

I have almost all of the variations on this engine (Mutants and Death Ray Guns, ShadowSea, Fear and Faith, Mighty Monsters) and they all work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I've been eyeing this system for a while but my group is now firmly entrenched in Malifaux so I probably won't get a chance to try it anytime soon. Curious if you've run games of A Fistful of Kung Fu? That's the variant I'm most interested in just based on theme alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.