Subject: Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ellis
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
The box indicates solo play as an option, however I see nothing in the rules explaining just how to do this.
I had a hard time deciding between buying the new Family Edition and the standard edition. I wanted a simplified version of the full game, but more complex than All Creatures Big and Small (which my wife and I have been playing). This seemed to fit the bill, but a 1-player mode is very important to me for those times she's not in the mood. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlocke wrote:
The box indicates solo play as an option, however I see nothing in the rules explaining just how to do this.
I had a hard time deciding between buying the new Family Edition and the standard edition. I wanted a simplified version of the full game, but more complex than All Creatures Big and Small (which my wife and I have been playing). This seemed to fit the bill, but a 1-player mode is very important to me for those times she's not in the mood. ;-)

Are the English rules even out yet? Or are you reading the German rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalvis Kincis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read German rules and there are no seperate solo rules. IMHO you just must use board for one player. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3123921/tonyboydell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ellis
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, nicely printed rules right in the box. Picked it up at Gen Con in Indianapolis last weekend. I could play as one player, but with no specified goal or "AI opponent mechanic", how do I know if I've "won"??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think you're trying for your personal best score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ellis
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, I considered that. I also thought about adding a die roll to see which actions my fictional opponent takes so I don't have free reign over the entire board to do whatever I want each turn. However, if they're going on to say it's a 1-4 player game, there would definitely be more to it than that! Perhaps the revised standard edition might flesh it out and I could use those rules (if they put a PDF version of the rules on-line).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Is this game really more complex than All Creatures Big and Small? Reading the BGG description, it looks shockingly neutered and simplified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the family edition. It's meant to be extremely simplified from the original game because kids.

If your kids are more advanced than this and can play the full game, get the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wickline
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the Family Edition, but I have played the 2016 full version solo several times. There are board extensions with different actions depending on the number of players (looks to be the same with the Family Edition). You start with no food and must pay 3 food (versus 2) for each family member at the harvest. The "3 wood" action space is filled with 2 wood each round. Otherwise, you play by yourself (i.e., no IA or dummy player) and try to improve your score each time you play. Even though there are some significant differences in terms of the amount of resources that are sometimes available, it still feels tense/tight to me at the end of the game. I believe there's a video of solo playthrough on the BGG listing for the new edition (it goes fast). This is total speculation, but I could see the rules for solo play with Family Edition being very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.