Subject: Plastic Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
OK, gang, sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but would everyone agree that plastic cards for Marvel Legendary would be far superior to the paper cards that UD puts out? Plastic cards can be wiped clean, and there would be no need for sleeves. Bicycle, and other brands of playing cards, has made a line of plastic cards for years, so it is not like nobody has thought of it before.

If I am already paying $35 or more for a large expansion, I would not mind paying another couple of dollars for plastic cards, assuming it would cost more for UD, or FFG, for that matter, to produce plastic cards. It think it would greatly benefit the playing experience and the collecting experience.

Please share your opinions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it would be way more than just a couple extra dollars to upgrade the cards from 300gsm to plastic.

I would like for the cards to be higher quality (ideally at least 310gsm linen), but once they're sleeved you don't really care about card quality anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were only a few extra dollars, I'm assuming any/all of us on bgg would like the same. Considering that no hobby game company produces cards in the same kind of plastic-coat material that bycycle does, I'm assuming that the costs of production only become affordable for bycycle when producing a very large number of the exact same product, i.e. standard playing cards. When bycycle does kickstarters for specialty art playing cards, the decks cost more like $10-12 rather than the $1-2 for standard playing card deck. Though this is all speculation on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it would effectively kill the variant community. Its near impossible to get custom plastic cards at a good price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I have no objections to playing with plastic cards, since they are definitely superior, but Legendary cannot switch to them. Why? Because you cannot seamlessly mix them with the existing paper cards. It would be nearly impossible to match colors perfectly and they would age differently. You would notice the different texture shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Tango Papa Delta wrote:
OK, gang, sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but would everyone agree that plastic cards for Marvel Legendary would be far superior to the paper cards that UD puts out? Plastic cards can be wiped clean, and there would be no need for sleeves. Bicycle, and other brands of playing cards, has made a line of plastic cards for years, so it is not like nobody has thought of it before.

If I am already paying $35 or more for a large expansion, I would not mind paying another couple of dollars for plastic cards, assuming it would cost more for UD, or FFG, for that matter, to produce plastic cards. It think it would greatly benefit the playing experience and the collecting experience.

Thanks.

A couple of extra dollars is the understatement of the year... Play sleeved if you don't mins paying a couple extra dollars to play with higher quality cards. That's what I do for one, and having plastic cards instead would not change that fact as even those gets marked eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of plastic playing cards. I love them, but after enough play they end up scratched and barely legible. I'd much rather have (cheaper) cardstock cards that I can sleeve with replaceable sleeves than plastic.

There's also the diminished benefit. My playing cards spend a lot of time around alcohol so the plastic is very useful. My Legendary cards, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
xLVNx wrote:
Tango Papa Delta wrote:

Thanks.

A couple of extra dollars is the understatement of the year... Play sleeved if you don't mins paying a couple extra dollars to play with higher quality cards. That's what I do for one, and having plastic cards instead would not change that fact as even those gets marked eventually.

Understatement of the year? Really?

Gloom 2nd Edition, 110 plastic cards, on Amazon.com for $18.54

Legendary Captain America 75th Anniversary, 100 cards, on Amazon.com for $17.30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Yes, really... I doubt they would increase the price that little for it as it increases production price. A more fair comparation is a normal 52 deck of cards vs a plastic one. I am pretty sure UD wouldn't cut the increased production price from their own profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
xLVNx wrote:
Yes, really... I doubt they would increase the price that little for it as it increases production price. A more fair comparation is a normal 52 deck of cards vs a plastic one. I am pretty sure UD wouldn't cut the increased production price from their own profit.

Might be, but economies of scale may make mass produced playing cards a less appropriate comparison to a unique card game like Legendary.

Plastic cards would clearly be more expensive, but I'm not sure the difference would be that significant, especially since a lot of people on here are sleeving cards anyway.

As for UDE's cut, the makers of Gloom aren't a charity either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.