Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understood the rules correctly, you will get a selection of 8 characters for each game which could be heroes and/or villain and actually mix them up. Which thematically makes no sense at all that the same player has characters from both sides.

Is there a way to play so that one player only has access to heroes while the other player only has access to villains?

As for the 4 player mode, you could play 2 vs 2 like the 2 headed giant method used in Magic the gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing with official rules, you would have to split up the heroes, because you can't play both versions of Splinter on the same team. The designer explicitly stated (in a post here on BGG) that it was a design choice because in games like this, everyone wants to play the Turtles (the main characters) so they set it up so each side could play 2 Turtles, 2 supporting characters (including the appropriate Splinter), and 4 Villains.

With that being said, if you are playing casually, you can play with all heroes against all Villains, and use both versions of Splinter (since they have uniquely identifiable dice) alongside of Casey, April, and the 4 Turtles.

The game does include rules for playing "Dice Masters Doubles", an officially recognized 2v2 version, where each player controls 4 characters but shares a Prep Area, so the characters can filter to the teammates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So people will mix vilain and turtles in the same dice bag. In fact both players could pick dice from the same character, so that a fight between the same character could actually happen. (ex: Leo vs Leo)

Mechanically, it make sense, but thematically it's very illogical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the thematic part does fall apart a little in this game. In the comic universe you can think of it as the same character from multiple universes battling each other (ex: my Iron Man battling your Iron Man).

Also from your post, make sure you read the rulebook (if you haven't already) for how to play. You don't just throw everything into your dice bag - you start with your 8 Sidekick dice and after that it functions similar to a deck-builder. The 8 characters you choose for your team are only available for you to purchase and add to your "deck", and the Basic Actions you choose can be purchased by either player (in-game). The energy you get from rolling the dice is how you purchase whichever dice (character or Basic Action), which goes to your Used Pile and then eventually filters into your bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched a video review and I played Quarriors. So I know approximately how the game works.

I think If I decide to get my hands on the game, I would split villains and heroes so that players play one side or the other. That could possibly be done as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, just be aware that while some of the mechanics are based on Quarriors, the actual gameplay is definitely different

(Also in Quarriors all dice are purchasable by both players - in this they are not.)

As I mentioned in my initial post, you absolutely can have the 4 Turtles + both Splinters + April + Casey on one team, and Shredder/Krang/Foot Ninja/Fugitoid/Bebop/Rocksteady/Baxter/Mousers on the other. It's "technically" breaking the rules by having 2 characters with the same name, but it's really not that big a deal in this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! because each player gets 8 characters each? I thought it was 8 shared by both players. I imagine the 4 actions cards are shared, unless each player has 4 action cards of their own too.

Do you Still have the restriction of Quarriors that you can only buy 1 die per turn. So for example, you cannot buy multiple low cost dice in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player can purchase any of their 8 characters or any of the 4 BACs, but none of the opposing player's characters. You can buy as many as you can afford, bearing in mind that at least one of the energy used to purchase it has to match the character's energy type.

For example: if I roll Bolt Fist Fist Shield, I can only buy one 2-cost Foot Soldier: Shredder's Army, because each of his dice requires at least one Bolt. I could buy two 2-cost Casey Jones: Mutant Hunter, because I have 4 energy including two Fists. I could also purchase all 3 Pizza! Basic Action Dice because they cost 1 each with no energy type requirement.

Any more questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! They seems to have fixed most of the issues I had with Quarriors. The fact you cannot buy multiple units on a turn and the fact that you summon creatures and did nothing interesting with it besides scoring points. Both these issues now seems resolved.

Thanks again for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to play this as "heroes vs. villains" using 4-8 characters each side, depending on desired game length or player familiarity. It can be done and can still be fun.

One issue I have is that all the "villains" have the V icon, but all "hereos" do not have the Turtle icon. This only matters for cards that reference the teams, but for the Casey Jones card that lures all sidekicks and V dice, it seems a bit OP when using the exclusive "good guys vs. bad guys" setup. I will probably house-rule that card to only lure 2 instead of "all"

Also, That fugicon guy was originally a good guy?!? Not sure on the lore there...

Still, I am a fan of Dice Masters, and this turtles setup is totally bodacious. and rad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.