Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a go at this last night, 4 players with the first scenario. Just the tiniest bit of spoilers here - the game started off just fine, but by the end it became really tedious with most of the table quickly losing interest.

The biggest mistake was trying to play this on a regular phone, and also trying to resolve the actions quickly by not passing it around. I have an old IPad that would have been much more visible. You see a lot of the action - what was previously handled by the keeper's cards and special decks for combat - is now resolved on the app. If you are playing on a small phone, and especially if you don't pass it around, the other players are going to get bored when they can't see what's going on.

When there are a lot of monsters on the board, it can get really tedious as you have to use the app for each evade check, each player attack, each monster activation and attack, and a horror check for each investigator. With 4 investigators and 6 monsters that's roughly 24 steps per turn that are mostly resolved by selecting something on the app, finding which attribute to roll, passing and rolling the dice, counting successes and activating abilities, and handing out damage or other resolution. I was trying to speed up the process as much as possible but perhaps that made things worse, as the other players basically stopped caring what was happening.

Anyway, I expect at least a somewhat better experience can be had by using a large IPad or laptop, making sure all players get to interact with the app frequently, maybe limit to 2 or 3 players, and probably try to kill the monsters to reduce the administrative overload instead of just evading them for 3 turns...

All in all I think this is an upgrade from 1st edition, definitely easier to setup, less rules to learn, and less potential for hopelessly one-sided scenarios. I doubt I'll actually play it more than 4 times so not too worried about content running out. Though if you don't have money to burn or aren't into thematic games at all, I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have many issues playing a 4p game on an ipad mini. However, the horror checks did get old. But I realized later we made a mistake. If 3 people are doing a horror check against 1 monster, you just generate 1 from the app and all 3 of those players would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
We didn't have many issues playing a 4p game on an ipad mini. However, the horror checks did get old. But I realized later we made a mistake. If 3 people are doing a horror check against 1 monster, you just generate 1 from the app and all 3 of those players would do it.

This is a rule I think a lot of people are missing. Also remember you only do a horror check against the most horrific monster within range. Not all monsters within range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As for display, I hook up my phone to a tv I set on the end of the table so everyone can see everything going. Works great. So glad I got the hdmi adapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
As for display, I hook up my phone to a tv I set on the end of the table so everyone can see everything going. Works great. So glad I got the hdmi adapter.

We do the same thing with our laptop. The music/noise is nice and loud, ambiance for everyone. We just pass the mouse around...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

This is a rule I think a lot of people are missing. Also remember you only do a horror check against the most horrific monster within range. Not all monsters within range.

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that all players have an individual horror interaction each. I'll reread the manual, but I thought this was the case, and I'm pretty sure a playtester confirmed it in another thread.

So each investigator would have a unique interaction even if multiple were having an interaction with the same monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
HORROR CHECK

During the horror step of the mythos phase, each investigator resolves a horror check against a monster within range. He does so by following these steps:

1. Determine Monster: The investigator must resolve a horror check against only the monster within range with the highest horror rating - the blue value in the bottom-right corner of the front of the monster token.

If multiiple monsters within range have the highest horror rating, he chooses one of he,.

2. Resolve Horror Check: The investigator selecs the monster from the monster drawer and resolves the effect as instructed by the app.

Any effecs genereated from this selection are part of the investigator's horror check

A horror check typically causes an investigator to suffer Horror.

Crystal clear that no matter how many monsters, each investigator is only resolving ONE horror check per round.

I have no idea where the idea of all investigators make the same horror check if theyre all horrified by the same monster though. It still seems to me they each make their own check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="stevelabny"]
Quote:

I have no idea where the idea of all investigators make the same horror check if theyre all horrified by the same monster though. It still seems to me they each make their own check.

Page 10 of the rules reference under Horror Step.

"If multiple investigators would resolve a horror check against the same monster, those investigators all resolve the same horror check."

So if 3 investigators would make a horror check against the same monster it's only done once in the app, then each investigator rolls a horror check against that one test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
[q="stevelabny"]
Quote:

"If multiple investigators would resolve a horror check against the same monster, those investigators all resolve the same horror check."

So if 3 investigators would make a horror check against the same monster it's only done once in the app, then each investigator rolls a horror check against that one test.

LOL. And this continues to be why doing the LTP book plus the rules reference/glossary is a terrible terrible layout for rulebooks. How is this not listed in the Learn to Play and then I read and quote the Horror Check rules on the SAME PAGE and that rule isn't there, but then the Horror Step rule repeats all of the rules from Horror Check and adds one more line. Just ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Remember, you only test horror against the monster with the highest horror value in range (within 3 spaces and line of sight) and you only evade the monster in your space with highest awareness value. If there is a tie, you pick ONE (and don't perform tests against each tied monster). Plus, when you do the horror check, you use the same horror test for ALL investigators in range. You don't do multiple tests for each investigator for each monster during the same mythos phase. Thematically this makes sense as those investigators in range are all seeing the same thing and the monster is not going to perform multiple "horrific performances" for each investigator.

I think a lot of people are overlooking this and making the game far more tedious than it was meant to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
otakuon wrote:
Remember, you only test horror against the monster with the highest horror value in range (within 3 spaces and line of sight) and you only evade the monster in your space with highest awareness value. If there is a tie, you pick ONE (and don't perform tests against each tied monster). Plus, when you do the horror check, you use the same horror test for ALL investigators in range. You don't do multiple tests for each investigator for each monster during the same mythos phase. Thematically this makes sense as those investigators in range are all seeing the same thing and the monster is not going to perform multiple "horrific performances" for each investigator.

I think a lot of people are overlooking this and making the game far more tedious than it was meant to be.

Yes I'm sure lots of people missed it because it requires a thorough examination of the rules reference in order to pick it up. FFG are terrible at writing rule books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense, and I know that I missed it for the above reason. ^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran our first game today, new to this game, 5 players. The introductory game suggests 60 to 90 minutes, we used half an hour or so at the start briefing everyone on the rules, and it took a few rounds before we picked up the rule about multiple investigators being able to use the same horror check for a common monster. Including the rules talk at the start, we were busy for 3 and a half hours. We certainly sped up as we went along and we were using an ipad perched where everyone could see it and most could reach it. Music off, sound effects on. Put some youtube music on: picked out an ambient playlist recommended elsewhere on BGG. Overall everyone enjoyed the experience, although a couple were tired and ready for the end when it came. The sense of theme and immersion was pretty damn good actually - far better than (say) betrayal at house on the hill. I think the app really added something in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I think it's just cool to bash FFG's rulebooks. I had no problem picking up the horror check rules before my first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Good catch, I remember the horror check test for the same monster was at least mostly the same. Using this shortcut rule would have a saved a few minutes of tedious app/roll resolution each round near the end of our game. Mostly the problem was having 6 monsters on the board,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.