$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Hayden Farnsworth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
So as the title suggests, I bought one core set. I was looking for a great 2 player card game and also wanted one that could play up to four. My family has some big GoT fans and I thought this was the best choice. So, my question is what esle do I need to buy for four player games. Or is there enough in the box. I do plan on getting into expansions but want to try the stuff in the base set first, but feel free to suggest some expansions. Also do the First Edition expansions work with the Second Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Correia
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question comes up a lot. The answer is 1-2 more core sets. Best purchase you can make pound for pound if you want to expand the quality and depth of your card pool. Especially if you want to seat four players. Stretching mostly 1-off cards, specifically 1-off plots, to accommodate four decks stretches very thinly. Decks will be high variance (games will be very luck based) and economies will be very inconsistent. More core sets alleviates all these concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
The box contains enough for four kingslayer decks (decks consisting of two houses plus neutrals, not legal for tournaments). They are more or less balanced due to the high variance of them, and should be enough to give you the first impresion of the game (and multiple hours of enjoyment). If you like it enough and are into deckbuilding, buying a second or even a third copy of the Core set is your best bet.

If you plan on playing casually or focus on multiplayer, I recommend you to skip the chapter packs and only buy the big expansions (only the Stark has been released so far, but the Lannisters is comming). They focus on a faction each time, but come with a bunch of neutrals and a few cards for the rest. Chapter packs give more cards, but they seem to be aimed at the competitive players, introducing quite a few unbalancing or meta changing cards that will take the fun away from some of the core factions.

First Edition cards and expansions are not compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 copies of base set allows full amounth of neutral economy cards to 4 decks.
After that maybe the deluxe sets, but it depends on how much you like the game. By using that slap together two houses and play only using one core is very valid. The games Are very slow, because you can not play Many cards though so play only to max 10 power with those decks. 3 cores allows faster games so maybe use the official 15 points, but even then the 10 points can be ok, but some houses Are not so good with those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
flag msg tools
We have a small group of 3-6 people and only play maybe once per month. Three core sets has proven perfect so far.

Will probably pick up the deluxe box sets and that is it as we treat it more like playing a board game than trying to go competitive. Also with 4 people if someone starts to get ahead they make allot of enemies haha.

I think I would pick up some of the smaller sets if I knew which ones were going to add to making all eight factions more balanced, as we pretty much just play with pre made decks and swap them around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.