Subject: How do you lay out this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game recently with my wife and it filled up the entire card table with just the 2 of us playing to the point where there wasn't enough space for everything. We had a lot of fun and will definitely be playing it again, however, I wanted to see how everyone else who is playing this game has been laying everything out on the table. How do you lay out this game on your table?

I was thinking of stacking all the unique large tiles into 1 pile and all the unique small tiles into 1 pile. I was also thinking of stacking all the character cards into a character pile. To coincide with this, I then plan to create a player aid with all the characters (and their requirements & bonus) on one side and all the tiles (their cost/requirements & bonus) on the other side. This way players are not looking all over the table reading requirements for tiles or characters or flipping through them if they are stacked. I am keeping the reference card at the size of the game's character cards for efficiency, but we'll see how that works out with all the details that need to go on there. I will upload the file once I finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also have only played 2 people thus far and agree that it takes up a massive amount of room to lay out all the tiles, particularly if you have the boomtown expansion with all the extra unique rooms.

We have left the citizens in a stack and tried to make all the different type of buildings visible, as well as the open claims and outlaws. We can usually manage that, but it still does take up a large amount of room.

I'm not sure how we'll manage with 4 players yet, but hopefully will get to try that this weekend still.

For now I'd at least say that stacking the citizens is fine though--the buildings make it clear how to obtain them and there is only one citizen that has any special power beyond being worth 5 victory points.

Overall I'll be interested to see what player aids you come up with though. This game currently just takes up a large amount of space and there doesn't seem to be an easy way around that currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think stacking the characters is totally fine especially once everyone is familiar with them. Even if they aren't, it is quite easy to pass around the stack of characters and let someone look at them.

You could possibly do the same thing with the open claims, but people probably like those to be out on the able spread out.

The footprint is big, there is no doubt about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just created a great Tile Worksheet that should appear in the Files section after approval by BBG. It really tightens up area needed to play! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Hawkes
msg tools
I've noticed in photos that the layout features the player boards in the center of the table and the buildings, outlaws, open claims, etc. on the periphery. Is this the recommended layout or how most people play the game? I've been playing with the mostly opposite layout of having the player boards in front of the players and the rest in the center of the table. I haven't tried it the other way. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only ever played it as you have described for yourself -- with the cards, tiles, gold, cubes all in the center equally distant from all players and their own boards are closest to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.