$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Gines Lopez
Spain
flag msg tools
VARIANT OVERVIEW:

- There are only a few rules changes.
- You don’t need extra material to play this variant.
- Fighting is more elegant and specialized, Fighters can only defeat Goblins, Clerics can only defeat Skeletons, etc. (and now thieves can’t defeat monsters).
- Champions are now a bit less powerful.
- Only Thieves or Champions can open Chests.
- The variant adds Traps and interaction (but honestly not a lot).
- Chests have the chance to become a Trap.
- Potions are more coherent: the Potion revives an old death companion (and you don’t sacrifice other companions to use them, Scrolls can’t be used with potions, Potions don’t revive Scrolls).[I have taken this idea of NuMystic, bgg user]
- This variant encourages the use of items (items are worthless at the end of the game).

RULES CHANGES:

SETUP:

Setup is as in the original rules BUT the 6 Dragon Scales are now Traps, and each player receives two Treasures at the beginning of the game.
Treasures are kept in secret.
If a player receives a Trap (at setup or during the game) nothing happens, Traps can be used later against other players.

MONSTER PHASE:

The Fighter can ONLY defeat any number of Goblins.
The Cleric can ONLY defeat any number of Skeletons.
The Mage can ONLY defeat any number of Oozes.
The Thief can NOT defeat monsters.
EACH Champion may be used to defeat ONLY ONE Goblin, or ONE Skeleton or ONE Ooze (only ONE of any type).
As in the original rules you need to defeat all monsters before you can open Chests or drink Potions.

LOOT PHASE / OPEN CHESTS:

ONLY Thieves or Champions may be used to open Chests in the level.
One Thief may be used to open any number of Chests in the level (as in the original rules).
One Champion may be used to open ONE Chest.
Players keep their treasures in secret.
Traps: When an Adventurer opens a Chest, and before he takes the treasure, the player on the left can reveal one trap. Then the active player sends the Thief (or the Champion) to the graveyard, but he does not take the treasure and as a result of the trap 1 Companion, at left player’s choice, goes to the Graveyard (if the active player does not have a Companion, nothing happens).
If the active player opens two or more Chests at once with a Thief, the left player can reveal any number of Traps at once.

LOOT PHASE / POTIONS:

Any Party die (including Scrolls) can be used to Quaff any number of Potions.
New rules:
You can drink any number of Potions (i.e., you don’t spend 1 party dice and you don’t need a
Companion available).
For each potion quaffed the Adventurer takes 1 Party COMPANION die from the Graveyard and adds it to her active party, choosing its WITH THE SAME face (you can only revive a death Companion, you can´t revive a Scroll or a Chest).[I have taken this idea of NuMystic, bgg user]

END OF THE GAME:

Unused Treasure tokens are WORTHLESS at the end of the game, except the Town Portal, which is worth 2 points.
Remember: Dragon Scales are Traps, they are worthless at the end of the game.

SOLITAIRE VARIANT:

At setup you don’t receive treasures.
When you open one or more Chests at once, reveal 3 treasures. If any treasure is a Trap, follow the above rules for each Trap. Discard the treasures.

PD: Thanks to Joan Prats for your help in writing this variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this looks like some thought has gone into it!

I will try a few games (solo) when I can, and post any thoughts I have.

Thank you for making this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good variant, I will try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mael Morholt
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ll try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't type a lot on my phone. But had a couple of quick turns tonight.
I like this variant. I enjoyed it more than the vanilla game. I scored 18 with the Tracker, then 10 with the Enchantress.

The only thing I didn't like was drawing 3 tokens to see if a treasure chest(s) was trapped. I just don't like that mechanic for solo play although I know it's intended for multiplayer.

So for the third game (and in future) I left this rule out and just drew a treasure token as normal when I opened a chest. Final game was 33 using the Knight/Dragonslayer. Knowing treasures are worthless at the end makes them useful because previously you would just save them for the end-game points. This is a big improvement.

I also like the new combat mechanics. Champions are more interesting and not so powerful now. Potions are a great relief to roll, but remember they resurrect a dead dice without rerolling it (!) so make sure you keep your size orderly and face up in the graveyard.

If you want to make your copy of a DR a lot more fun, give this variant a chance. I really like it, anyway. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gines Lopez
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks for your feedback. I recognize that solitaire variant is in beta status ... I am glad that this variant is interesting for you (and other users)
Now I'm simplifying the special powers of the characters. I think that the powers are too complex for such a simple game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I find those varied powers are what keeps the game fresh.
They're obviously not very well balanced but they're definitely interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.