Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about getting the $190 bundle. I already have Gloomhaven and Sword and Sorcery on the way. What will this game bring to the table that outshines the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quick answer is this is more of a unique and innovative dungeon crawler because of the very Euro rondel mechanism. Your decisions will have to take into consideration how you move on the hero rondel and how enemies move on their rondel. I think this will make it a very good solo game as well. I'm sure it will work well as a multiplayer as long as you don't have an alpha gamer in your group. Like Gloomhaven, Perdition's Mouth doesn't use dice however there is a variable deck of cards.

Also, this game is darker in theme.

They just posted an update in their KS with an unboxing which you can see here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't Gloomhaven a legacy game? When I was out getting information on that game, it gave me the impression that it's a game that changes permanently with every session.

I'm in on Perdition's Mouth though, the diceless mechanics and dark theme sucked me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
Isn't Gloomhaven a legacy game? When I was out getting information on that game, it gave me the impression that it's a game that changes permanently with every session.

I'm in on Perdition's Mouth though, the diceless mechanics and dark theme sucked me in.

Gloomhaven has diceless mechanics and fairly dark theme too. In fact, it's reaction deck (which is used instead of dice like in PM:AR) evolves with the player from session to session, sort of like a deckbuilder, weeding out and upgrading. It is a legacy game, but is also able to be played without those features and is 100% reset-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a lot of game boards in the base game lol! Very nice. I watched most of Rahdo's run-though during lunch. The game seems pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
That is a lot of game boards in the base game lol! Very nice. I watched most of Rahdo's run-though during lunch. The game seems pretty good.

Yup, I love it! Reminds me of the stack of race tracks I have for Thunder Alley. Based on that unboxing, I'm happy to have KSed this because the component quality looks amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the $190 package for pre-order the same thing as the $160 pledge level back during the KS campaign? I'm trying to make a decision before Monday when it closes lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Is the $190 package for pre-order the same thing as the $160 pledge level back during the KS campaign? I'm trying to make a decision before Monday when it closes lol

That does look the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

That does look the case.

Cool. I actually quite like that system after surveying it a little. It's pretty brilliant. I think there are only like 40 mini's in the entire game though. That's sort of holding me back (hard to justify $215 for that). I might just wait for this one to be at retail if it ever goes there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

That does look the case.

Cool. I actually quite like that system after surveying it a little. It's pretty brilliant. I think there are only like 40 mini's in the entire game though. That's sort of holding me back (hard to justify $215 for that). I might just wait for this one to be at retail if it ever goes there.

It's true that the mini count isn't as high as some dungeon crawler campaigns. However, did you see the number of mounted boards in the box? Most dungeon crawler come with a dozen tiles, not mounted boards. That surely makes up for a fewer count of minis. From what I've gathered in this hobby, boards like that are very expensive.

Ultimately though, it was cheaper during the campaign, I'm just not so sure how available this game will be at retail. Hopefully, it gets a wide release though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one starts shipping very soon, if it has not already started. Gloomhaven might not ship until February (??).

I bought both, for full disclosure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

That does look the case.

It's true that the mini count isn't as high as some dungeon crawler campaigns. However, did you see the number of mounted boards in the box? Most dungeon crawler come with a dozen tiles, not mounted boards. That surely makes up for a fewer count of minis. From what I've gathered in this hobby, boards like that are very expensive.

Ultimately though, it was cheaper during the campaign, I'm just not so sure how available this game will be at retail. Hopefully, it gets a wide release though.

Indeed there are a lot of game boards. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in the mini's to play on them. I really really like the rondel and card playing system though. It's super super cool. I think, partially, Rahdo influenced me by spending 40 minutes agonizing over unlocking a door. The system is good, but do the missions provide anything intricate or complex to deal with? Also I heard something in a review here that talked about there being no scaling for 2 player. True?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak to the 2 player scaling but the latest rulebook is in the bottom post of this file page Perdition's Mouth rulebook v1.4.1. As far as missions, read through this playtester's blog Campaigning in Perdition's Mouth.

Have a read of both and make your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

FYI, the $190 bundle does not include the KS Exclusive components.

Quote:
Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift Bargain Bundle. Best of everything! Including two extra campaigns, the Hideout and Witch's grotto, 2 additional Heroes and plenty of other extras. Enjoy all non-KS-exclusive benefits in one huge pack. This edition is sold to retail channel only during pre-order phase (until 15th AUG 2016).

Please note that we (GLGames) have the "Gamer's Bargain Bundle" with the KS Exclusives included, available for pre-order in the BGG Marketplace. We were an early backer during the Kickstarter campaign, and very happy to help make the game a reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of minis is smaller than some games, but they are high quality and look amazing

As for scaling there are special rules for 2-players where you can either play with multiple heroes or use a special ghost marker to make it easier to move around the rondel as if you had more players.

While PM isn't a "legacy" game, when you play a campaign your hero decks will change as you acquire treasure and damage and rescue victims. You also track threat between scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got into Kickstarter of PM because of the author of Gloomhaven - he mentioned PM was good and I really liked it when I read more about it and saw some of the videos. I strongly suggest, go to the PM Kickstarter page and watch them. Also Gloomhaven has couple of great videos (Rahdo).

If you have limited budget and you like RPGs, either of the two games would be a good choice IMO.

Gloomhaven is the legacy game and has quite a lot of rules "around dungeoneering", such as upgrading player cards, buying equipment in cities etc.

PM offers way better monster AI (resulting to more complex rules for you to handle when playing). So I suppose it is up to you what you would prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.