Hide
7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: This game reminds me of the sore loser jury members on Survivor. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
I played this game recently and had a blast, I was lying, cheating (had that card), stealing and breaking oaths, and to be honest it was a fantastic game, especially when you have others trying to do the same it creates a very dramatic game with a great finish. Now here's the thing, if I lose it doesn't bother me, as long as I enjoyed myself that's what matters. But there are some sensitive players who play the game and seem to have a chip on their shoulder, if they're betrayed they take it personally, if they're ganged up on again they take it personally when it is in the interest of the group to attack them. In the end I hate these kind of players, they bring their honor and integrity and sensitive bullshit into a game that requires you to be cut throat. It reminds me of those people that get outplayed on survivor and play that righteousness card nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering I have been playing the game for quite some time (was introduced briefly via Mayfair edition, played the old online game, had the Avalon Hill version)...

This game is more about negotiation and understanding the meta-game over anything else. It is highly expected that you get backstabbed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It is expected that you will get backstabbed.

It is also expected that you will oppose those who backstab you, as a deterrent to anyone else thinking of backstabbing you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like its a part of the show Survivor, beware of petty minded players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I do my best to avoid gaming with THOSE people, especially with games with significant direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the mentality either. This isn't economics, healthcare reform or religion we're battling over...it's just a game, and one that's supposed to be silly and full of drama and where you're expected to do whatever's necessary to be top-dog.

I honestly had a game of Alien Frontiers once where I dropped a "6" on the Lunar Mine on the first round and one of the players gave me a look like he wanted to punch me in the throat. What? Aren't we playing a game here? A competitive game? Am I not supposed to act competitively? If you wanted to play multi-player solitaire, perhaps we should be playing something else.

I mean, friendly competition is great. It's a big part of what I like about playing board games. Trash-talking is great too, as long as it's in the right spirit. Keep the competition in the game. Check your pride at the door. Only fun is allowed at the game table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many, many years ago, when we first got into Diplomacy we learned...

Before every game repeat the oath together:

We are friends. We are playing this game for fun. We promise to still be friends upon it's completion

I've found it helpful for those situations when you do really screw someone over hard, a gentle "we will still be friends after the game" reminder is handy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.