Hide
6 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Ending to Asylum was bad. (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
I loved some parts of Asylum, especially the Pentagram puzzle. The time was just very short and really rushes you through the scenario, a few bad rolls from the time captain and it made the scenario almost pointless to play through. The worst had to be the ending, like some bad video game, you beat the game and credits roll, no Epilogue, nothing. For a game with Stories in its title, it felt like it under told the story. There was no background information, who were the creatures, where did the manticore come from, what made the doctor become an occultist, what happened to Josephine, how did what we accomplish help the asylum? What were the consequences in time if events weren't changed? It just left so much out and left you with a stupid you win card, what a cop out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you are a green behind the ear recruit. Some information may be above your paygrade as it were.

Maybe the story unfolds more and more each game and this is just one small piece to a much bigger game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe you missed some things and you also need to play more than just Asylum. Also, there are tons of stories out there that don't give you all the answers. Sounds like it was a pretty good cliff hanger for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Markley
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the game and story was absolutely brilliant. Well above expectation but I have to admit I agree with you on all these points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group just played Asylum out last night. It took us three times to get through and a long time to realize we had all the pieces of the puzzle and then even longer to put it all together (even though I got the word "read" immediately).

We really liked the story. I assumed the parts we don't get explained to us, like the manticore, were unexplained because of the immediacy of the task. To support the OP though, it wouldn't have hurt Bob to explain a little aftermath when it was over.

Cool game. Looking forward to chapter 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I can't answer all of your questions, I felt the story made sense in context to what story pieces were told to us.

The first glaring piece of story that stood out to me was the newspaper saying that an escape of the inmates was very probable because many of them went missing. However, Card A on the promenade states that the walls are too high for an escape. So why would anyone suggest that there would be one? Perhaps the story was planted or bought by Hyacinthe to keep eyes from looking too close.

The head nurse, when she revealed Hyacinthe's office on the map she says "YOU know the way." Because we are inmates and have done this before.

As for the Manticore? Who says the manticore was real? As far as I was aware, as inmates, we are crazy people. The only reason we acted in any sort of competent behavior was because of the connection our future selves had to the receptacles. I back this up by saying we all had to act through them and deal with their flaws at the same time. Coke addict, anxiety issues, fear of death, stress.

The manticore to me was a hallucination brought on by the fractured nature of the inmates minds. We saw what we wanted to see. In fact the only people who make reference to it are inmates. Everyone else refers to it as a cat and they do so in a very "yeah sure crazy person" manner like the chef.

So then who killed Hyacinthe's partner and dragged it to the greenhouse? Maybe I'm wrong and it was the manticore. Or maybe the Professor was trying to escape and got mutilated by the thing guarding the trap door and crawled himself to the greenhouse?

What were those things? In the letter from the Prof to the Doc that Jules gives you, it mentions that they have experimented with this before and screwed it up. They added 5 pluses rather than 4 and a minus. So summoning creatures into this world is probably what they botched. Nurses got transformed as seen in the catacombs which directly connects to the puzzle door. Two people molded together like 'The Thing'.

They wanted to use us to right the wrongs of their cult experiments.

I mean the story is there, it's just not spoon-fed to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.