Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Roman number hard to read, it is easy to have 4 & 6 mixed up.

Anyone have the same problem too?

With enough people may be we could order some custom dice.

I would wish to have the dice remains in 12mm, otherwise they would be too big for the dice tower I am using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be frank, I am more concerned about finally receiving my game than about the numerals on the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not me, I'm not afraid of something different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes...in fact we (my 4/person group) chipped in and had custom die made...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
To be frank, I am more concerned about finally receiving my game than about the numerals on the dice.

You still haven't received you KS copy?!?! How come?

My retail copy arrived two days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake Oh dear! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samtang wrote:
I found the Roman number hard to read, it is easy to have 4 & 6 mixed up.

Anyone have the same problem too?

With enough people may be we could order some custom dice.

I would wish to have the dice remains in 12mm, otherwise they would be too big for the dice tower I am using.

Yeah I also raised the same point during the Kickstarter campaign with how difficult these things are to read easily (from previous experience) but was drowned out by the "yeah but Roman dice look cool " gang and the "you must be stupid if you can't differentiate a 4 from 6 easily" crew.

Thankfully it doesn't seem that combat happens all the time in NM:E so I was hoping to live with it. Although I imagine that most people interested in getting replacements would prefer something larger than 12mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
samtang wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

You still haven't received you KS copy?!?! How come?

My retail copy arrived two days ago.

Because he lives in the EU and wanted an English language edition. None of us have our copies yet due to Academy's mishandling of the project, and I've heard it will be next year before we get the giant sized map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
Yeah I also raised the same point during the Kickstarter campaign with how difficult these things are to read easily (from previous experience) but was drowned out by the "yeah but Roman dice look cool " gang.

Yup. They look so COOOOOOL! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiachra Mac Aodha
Ireland
Dublin 3
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. IV and VI are just as easy to tell apart as no and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have preferred the original Roman Numerals (I, II, III, IIII, V, VI) to the modified Roman Numerals (I, II, III, IV, V, VI) - there would have been less confusion between 4 and 6 - the only confusion would have been 3 and 4 could look similar, but since all you care about is multiples of 5, it would have been less troublesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
to be fair, VI and IV is confusing as fuck and we screwed up a few times until someone points out.

I think is more of a thematic thing, but I would prefer IIII and VI at least.

Or I thought greece and babylon was there? Let's try their language. Or Egyptian. Sad Arab wasn't there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Greeks used letters of their alphabet, e.g. (exempla gratia) alpha = 1, beta = 2, gamma = 3, et cetera, for specific numbers.

Ancient Babylonians used a cuneiform system, with the same symbol (something like a closed 'y') used like the Romans did, e.g. y, yy, and yyy; '4' started a row under 'yyy' and continued that under-row for '5' and '6'. e.g.,

yyy
yyy is the symbol for '6'

Also was a base 60 system. Possibly something to do with the abacus.

Ancient Egyptians used a hieroglyphic system which starts exactly like the Romans for l, ll, and lll; '4' is a 'll' on top of a 'll', et cetera. Thus,

ll
ll is the symbol for '4'

Don (victim of a classical education) will take roman numerals every time. Besides the name of the game is "Mare Nostrum", id est, "Our Sea", and not "oinops pontos", "wine dark sea", a famous Homeric refrain.

Or just use a usual d6 or three.cool

edit> just have to equate some pips to different results, sort of like a results table.

ps> I ordered an extra set of Roman numeral dice, as well as the 3d buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiachra wrote:
No. IV and VI are just as easy to tell apart as no and on.

Or 6 and 9 on higher sided dice. But it does take a bit of getting used to we don't normally have Roman Numerals on dice. I like the flavour/theme that it adds. Something different is refreshing to me. Cheers all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have got a quotation.

The cost for a custom dice (16mm with squared corners) is USD 6 each.

If ordered in large quantity, the cost could be reduced to USD 2.5 each.

So a set of dice (5 sea battle dice & 9 land battle dice) would cost around USD 35 to USD 84.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tang Sam
Hong Kong
North Point
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is the sample, 16mm with squared corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago I picked up a small supply of blank white dice from a school supply store. I painted pips on them to make varying averaging dice and sealed the pips with clear nail polish. Very cheap and the labor was free! Used most of them in a game called "Railway Rivals", for which my friend and I made many extra maps to get more variety in play. One of the basic rules of the game was to roll a D6 and everybody builds that many pips worth of track hexes. Well, on some (all) of our home-made maps we got carried away making much larger maps. To compensate for the extra size, we hit on the solution of adding 'x' to the die roll. Just worked better with dice that had that 'x' factor already built in. Plus, as mentioned, all of the specialty dice were done with a bit of averaging in mind, usually having a five number spread and doubling up on the median number. For example, 5 to 9, with faces containing the numbers 5,6,7,7,8,9. Done in pairs, each different set of dice had it's own color pips to avoid confusion.

So I would think that you could get some blank white dice, color the naval series with blue pips on faces of 2,3,3,4,4,5. And maybe for the army use red pips with faces of 3,3,4,4,5,6.

Could also take some regular blue dice and paint on two extra white pips on a diagonal to convert the 1 into a 3, and then paint blue over the middle two white pips to convert the 6 into a 4. Then take some regular bone colored dice and paint on two extra black pips on a diagonal to convert the 1 into a 3, and then paint on two extra black pips on the open corners to convert the 2 into a 4.

Doesn't have to be 12mm dice either. Might be easier to paint on 16mm.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.