5 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: How long does it ACTUALLY take to teach? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neilan Naicker
msg tools
mbmb
I'm super interested in this game, and I've seen a bunch of reviews where people vaguely say "it takes a long time to teach" - but how long are we talking about? Twenty minutes? An hour?

I understand that this is incredible subjective and will vary teacher to teacher and group to group, but does anyone who's had to teach it (let's say, in the worst case to 5 people) have any idea how long it took?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a middle-of-development (75%?) print-and-play by myself, then 2player and then 4 player with 2 new people. My KS copy is sitting at the local post office waiting for delivery tomorrow or Monday so I can't speak to the final game or the thief.

The rules to the game are mostly the rules for each individual role. At the time I played, there wasnt a "general turn order" part which I believe has since been added to the rules. That should help because you can then give an overview of the game before breaking it down role by role .

Even with gamers, it will probably take 10+ minutes for the general overview and up to 10 minutes per role. Then you might even want to re-overview so people can start estimating how their roles fit together.

The only way to make it "faster" is to have everyone read their own rules. Which might work if you have an all gamer group that isn't prone to rules fights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Having been involved in the earlier playtesting phases, it can take a while to teach the rules, especially if there are non-gamers in the group. This is largely due to the asymmetry in the game. In most games "asymmetry" means each player has a "race sheet" with a few "special abilities" unique to that race, but 90% of the rules are common to all players.

Not so in Vast. Each player is entirely unique, with their own rules, mechanics and victory conditions. Literally everything is different, down to how each player moves around the board or engages in battle. David is really a genius game designer to have come up with something even remotely balanced considering how many X-factors are involved here.

But yes, that means you're essentially explaining the rules to five separate games that all happen to take place on the same board. It's magical to watch it unfold, and hilariously fun to play, but it does have A BIT of a learning curve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With no one having played or even read the rules before (it was at Gen Con and person opened up their copy fresh), we learned and played a five player game in a little over 3 hours. We did a couple of things wrong which we figured out later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the rules myself at home, then brought it out at my gaming group. There were four of us. I gave them each a rulesheet and I attempted to set up the game while they read. We managed to get in three turns each before we had to pack it in. (The restaurant we were playing in was closing.) From lid off to lid back on was about an hour and fifteen minutes. We needed at least another hour to finish I think.

Keep in mind none of us knew what we were doing.

Not only is it as Stewi said, teaching five different games at once, but the players can't even help each other out or learn from each other. Surely you've played a game where you make the new player go last so they can watch the other players' turns. That's useless here as each player is doing something different.

But as I said in another thread, everyone was struggling, everyone was confused, but everyone said they look forward to playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.