Fantahzee: Hordes & Heroes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game (2P) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Lesgold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got to demo this at Gen Con on Sunday on the advice of someone who thought it'd be up my alley, and liked it enough to buy there. I just got done playing my first full game, a 2-player session with my wife.

This is a game that will please folks who like rolling a bunch of dice and having good things happen as a result, especially if they like building an engine and seeing it get executed. It's not especially deep, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

One thing I feel is worth noting is that the game isn't actually a lot like Yahtzee, other than that each player starts their turn with 5d6 to roll and two available rerolls. You are trying to match dice results to hero cards in order to activate their strength and abilities to help you fight monsters each turn. A card might ask for a pair of 5s, or just a 2, or XX (any pair), and activating some heroes can give you more dice, more rerolls, Steam (an alternative currency that can be spent to activate certain construct heroes), shields (protection from monster attacks), or other effects (make another hero require one less die, move a monster stack, etc).

You can have up to five hero cards out, and it's possible to make some pretty cool combos happen by cascading activations, sometimes letting you roll upwards of ten dice in a turn. Also, sometimes you have crappy rolls, and don't get to do much. That's basically standard for dice games, though. One thing that can be kind of weird is that I've seen some combos of heroes that are not particularly dice dependent, and while it's kind of awesome when nearly any roll will let you activate your whole team, it's also sort of a waste of the game mechanics. It's pretty unlikely to get that kind of combo out and be able to keep it out in the face of higher level monster attacks, though, so it's probably not going to be an issue in most games.

There are five stacks of monster cards in the horde, and each one has a boss monster shuffled into its deeper half. Killing three bosses triggers the end of the game, once everyone has had the same number of turns (there's a "last player" marker included, which is actually kind of nice).

In our game, my wife got a very strong team combo out early and was able to wipe out a large number of monsters, though I later had my own kind of silly team (I had 27 strength on one turn, which was enough to wipe out all the available monsters at once). The biggest issue was that my team was a little more subject to random failure, and I had a few bum turns vs. her getting strong activations almost every turn. Score was 96 to 78 in her favor. We both had fun and hope to play it a bunch more, hopefully with some extra players soon.

Pros:
* Dice!
* Card combos and engines
* Generally fun mechanics

Cons:
* Large luck factor
* limited depth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game very much. I liked your report. I think the 2-player game needs to be shorter. Perhaps 2 fewer monsters in each pile might do it. I would be interested in your length and reaction to my suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this has been a big hit for me. I picked it up Thursday of GenCon and got 3 plays in over the weekend! Its been a great little light game.

It does packup nicely and is easily transportable once the cards and dice are removed from the box. I look forward to seeing what they do with the expansion that looks like will come out next year. Or thats what I am guessing based on an insert in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluewizard wrote:
I agree this has been a big hit for me. I picked it up Thursday of GenCon and got 3 plays in over the weekend! Its been a great little light game.

It does packup nicely and is easily transportable once the cards and dice are removed from the box. I look forward to seeing what they do with the expansion that looks like will come out next year. Or thats what I am guessing based on an insert in the game.

What are you using to carry it around in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.