BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any good Deaf friendly games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Sinderholm
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello, I am currently looking for a games that didn't involved any use sounds. I brought a few games in the past and realized it involved the using of sounds. Often the box did not explicit this. Sometime I have to change the rules to make it friendly for the deaf, but it depends on the complexity of the rules. My friends like to get together my place and look around for some games that we all can play. I am looking for games that only last half hour, very very very simple rules that I don't need to explain each person that goes more than 10 min, and of course... fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you including conversation in "sounds"? because I can otherwise think of very few games which utilize some kind of sound effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Wieczorek
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie, Polska
flag msg tools
7 Wonders - a classic.
Mysterium - if you are fine communicating using sign language.
Flick 'Em Up - simple rules, lots of fun.
Camel Up

Just to name a few.

If you want something longer just go with any eurogame. From my experience, the only sounds uttered are in the vein of 'hmmm', or groans of anger and dissapointment when somebody steals the resources you wanted or gets AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I'm a CODA.

I find that spatial or visual games are easier for me to explain in sign language. For instance, a game like Mexica, which is about creating the right shapes to capture territory. Or, games that require few rules to create an interesting game, such as Splendor (which I think makes for a better game anyway, in my opinion).

Those are both strategy games that I listed. Is that what you're looking for? I find that it's the party games that tend to rely on sound.

A simple game that's good for a laugh is Happy Salmon. I've only played with hearing people (which includes a lot of yelling), but the rules include a silent version with gestures, or you could just sign!

A longer party game that is great is Concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you are a new user here at the geek. Welcome! How experienced are you in gaming? If you have not played that many "hobby" games, the type we usually discuss here on the site, then we probably have a huge amount of suggestions for you. It would be good though to get an idea of how complex games you are used to.

Here follows a few suggestions of games that are simple, most definitely fun, and should be able to play in around 30 mins (that is very short though, easier to recommend games if you can stretch to 1 hour).

Semi-abstracts with simple rules:
Qwirkle
Ingenious
Can't Stop

Some simple, but really fun card games:
Coloretto
No Thanks!

A bit more complex:
Dice City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Also, as for party games, dexterity is a good category. Such as Suspend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Sinderholm
United States
California
flag msg tools
esswhy wrote:
Are you including conversation in "sounds"? because I can otherwise think of very few games which utilize some kind of sound effect

Something like timer beeping, or something similar to DVD game that sounds out the noise. That all of those I can't do and my friends. I am hard of harding but I still unable to identify the sounds. It will not be fair for my friends.

wieczorek wrote:
7 Wonders - a classic.
Mysterium - if you are fine communicating using sign language.
Flick 'Em Up - simple rules, lots of fun.
Camel Up

Just to name a few.

If you want something longer just go with any eurogame. From my experience, the only sounds uttered are in the vein of 'hmmm', or groans of anger and dissapointment when somebody steals the resources you wanted or gets AP.

Good selection, never seen those before. I usually window shopping at Target and Toys R Us. Those game look good. Thanks for the suggestions!

PlayBosco wrote:
Hi, I'm a CODA.

I find that spatial or visual games are easier for me to explain in sign language. For instance, a game like Mexica, which is about creating the right shapes to capture territory. Or, games that require few rules to create an interesting game, such as Splendor (which I think makes for a better game anyway, in my opinion).

Those are both strategy games that I listed. Is that what you're looking for? I find that it's the party games that tend to rely on sound.

A simple game that's good for a laugh is Happy Salmon. I've only played with hearing people (which includes a lot of yelling), but the rules include a silent version with gestures, or you could just sign!

A longer party game that is great is Concept.

Look interesting. I will add them to my wishlist. Thanks for the suggestion

I agree, it is easier to explain the rules in sign language. That is all depends on the complexity of the rules. Or the rules that is not explained in a explicit and detailed way. Sometime some rules have too much ambiguity. Many of my friends rely on me to read the rules because I have good English comprehension. Sometime, the rules use a weird word choice that I am unsure what it entirely meant. And I prefer to keep it low completation time, you know how the deaf community love to chat their hands off. Basically, the half hour game will become 2 hours game because they just want to chat. Often I have to be the person to kindly remind them to play the game.

Bolger wrote:
I notice you are a new user here at the geek. Welcome! How experienced are you in gaming? If you have not played that many "hobby" games, the type we usually discuss here on the site, then we probably have a huge amount of suggestions for you. It would be good though to get an idea of how complex games you are used to.

Here follows a few suggestions of games that are simple, most definitely fun, and should be able to play in around 30 mins (that is very short though, easier to recommend games if you can stretch to 1 hour).

Semi-abstracts with simple rules:
Qwirkle
Ingenious
Can't Stop

Some simple, but really fun card games:
Coloretto
No Thanks!

A bit more complex:
Dice City

Thank for the suggestion, I will take a look into those.

I am good at board game. I enjoy it a lot. I always try to get my friend to play with it to get more bonding time with them. As my response to PlayBosco, it all down to the complexity and the word choice is used in the rules. I want a rules that is easier to understand, I do not want to hire a mathematician to figure out the rules because it have too much ambiguity.

For the hobby, I would like to have a hands in more games as I can. I grew up playing at my aunt house as she have a full linen closet of board games. It is a memorable experience for me. As I discovered four years ago, my roommates and my friends enjoy playing board game and card games. So I just try to buy one new board game a month.

PlayBosco wrote:
Also, as for party games, dexterity is a good category. Such as Suspend.

My friend have that, it is a ok game. It is a niche thing among us. We would play that like once or twice a year. It just the game is short. But thank for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My recommendations for under 30 min games, easy to teach, with limited conversation required:
Qwixx
Sushi Go!
Can't Stop
Martian Dice
The Grizzled

Slightly longer (30-45 min):
Dominion
Roll for the Galaxy
Roll through the Ages
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am completely deaf. Sometimes I will skip out on a game at a meetup just because it involves too much communication, especially when there is no one there who can sign (I do read lips very well, but that is hit-and-miss quite often).

Here are a few games I enjoy that involve very little communication and/or sound:

Parade
Arboretum
Carcassonne
Lords of Waterdeep
Age of War
Isle of Skye
Ticket to Ride
Labyrinth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister in law is deaf.
She's not into boardgames that much but
she has enjoyed in the past:

Love Letter
Concept +1
Compatibility
No Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Splendor

Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride

All great ganes, and require no sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit is fun. We played with my deaf in-laws and had a blast. Just use your fingers to indicate how many cards you need instead of shouting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thinking about this some more, these are some games I've played which require an audio cue so may NOT be great for the hearing impaired

One Night Ultimate Werewolf and related
The Resistance
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Pressure Cooker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Chess.

I rarely say a word to my opponent while I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most abstracts work well for this. Chess, checkers, go, hive etc you see your opponent play a move and its done in silence. Silent euros like Splendor are good. Ricochet robots too if you physically flip the hourglass over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
volnon wrote:

Chess.

I rarely say a word to my opponent while I play.

Unfortunately, my opponent generally says at least one word to me. It's usually "checkmate."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neoshmengi wrote:
Pit is fun. We played with my deaf in-laws and had a blast. Just use your fingers to indicate how many cards you need instead of shouting.

Plus one for Pit.

Also known as the "Do something quiet, Mom has a headache" version.

Seriously, as my own hearing is rapidly disappearing this list is very helpful.

And plus one for Parade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.