Subject: We must have done everything wrong...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got done playing our first game. We used all the expansion modules except Wizard abilities and rogues.

Because one or two players spent several actions casting major spells on the wizard board, the action tiles in the wild had less meeples, which meant they were removed from the board faster than we thought they would. For example, we never once had the ability to remove a tile from the wilds by paying a spear. There were always open spaces and this was in a 5p game.

This led to everyone being super resource poor. We had a hard time getting more production buildings to our hands, because the buildings display got clogged up with leadership buildings, that nobody seemed to think were worth the cost to take.

Meanwhile, the players working the dragon strategy had a hard time finding scoring tiles that matched dragons they had. The expansion rules say you play with all these tiles mixed together right? I know with the action tiles, you only play with a certain number of each, but I didn't see a section of the book that addressed limiting the victory tile pile.

Speaking of the wizard board, does it seem odd that the game ends when someone reaches the end? The wizard board has a few cute fast resource payoffs, but it doesn't seem to give enough vp to be a viable alternate strategy. The game didn't end this way, but it came close to. I just wondered what the incentive was to end the game that way, when by pushing that track, you would likely be dragon poor due to spending your actions in a different part of the board.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things:
To start, if this was your first Simurgh game in general I would have left out most of the expansion stuff. Getting a feel for the pacing and timing involved in the game with just the base game (maybe the Homecoming module and the module 0 tiles) is a pretty big deal. I would definitely leave out the leadership tiles for a while as they are very situational and tricky to use right.

As far as the wizard board goes, I haven't seen it be a problem that it triggers the end game at all. It isn't supposed to be the only source of your points, but rather a supplement. Add to that that the players should be aware that they are going to end it and be confident that they will win, if you just end it and lose then you aren't really trying. Get to the last space, then don't trigger it until you are fairly confident you have a shot at winning.

Finally, How were the players going to town on the wizard board if you all were resource starved? The wizard board provides some resources, but you only collect the resources you land on, not every resource you pass through (you do still get the Victory points you pass through however). With that, they would be just as desperate for resources as everyone else and need to be playing tiles into the wilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wizard board consumed more in casting the spells than it produced. We didn't wind up ending due to the wizard board but it was close. The game actually ended because of tiles discarded from the wilds due to players taking pull actions frequently. I think this was compounded by some players focusing on the wizard board too much, as casting a major spell is I think the only way you get to take a main action without placing or pulling a worker.

It seemed to me that the most likely timer in the game should have been getting out the 4th scoring criteria tile, but as people had trouble getting resourses, buying dragons was something only 2 of the 5 players focused on, so people were shy a out setting the scoring criteria. Even the player who was pushing the scoring tiles had trouble finding tiles that matched her dragons. She wound up putting a tile out that scored for an oppoent and another that scored for nobody.

It was kind of a mess. I felt like I could see what the game wanted to have happen, but through tons of player strategy error, we broke it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Even the player who was pushing the scoring tiles had trouble finding tiles that matched her dragons. She wound up putting a tile out that scored for an oppoent and another that scored for nobody.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but don't you have the option not to add a dragon tile if the three you've drawn aren't useful to you? I feel like acquiring dragon tiles should be foundational to the game but in our experience, very few dragons ever get purchased. So it's funny to think of determining who has the most of a certain dragon. It's always, "who has one of these dragons?"

As for resources, we have felt frustrated by the scarcity of some, depending especially on which tiles are either available in the wilds or for purchase. For our two player game, we have to stack the tile decks when we set up. We have also house-ruled the 'buy a tile' space such that we can just go there and get a wood or stone without having to buy anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simurgh is one of those rare games in which it's not advisable to put all the expansions from the beginning: many of them add something significant to the game, and a beginner easily becomes distracted by the plenty of strategic options.

We haven't played enough games to see if the various strategies are balanced, or if some are over/underpowered, but here specialization definitely pays: whichever strategy you choose, go all in. Cycle through the tiles, discard everything that doesn't favor you, and keep what does: the only fixed part of the scoring system is the inventory thing, everything else is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.