Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So....

I have the new version only, but with the conversion kit, it seems I have 16 additional characters. Of course, I dont have the figures, but I can just use any figure right?

But, to get them working in the app, I need to enable the old product, and when I do this, it presumably adds in all of the old stuff, including the monsters... which is also not a problem, since I really dont like the figs for this game, and the big black bases are ugly, so I'm going to use just the actual cardboard tokens for the monsters - and I have all of them too.

So, what am I missing? I guess the map tiles. If the app decides to instruct me to place a room I dont have, I'm a bit stuck. So, I ran through scenario 1 this morning with all old versions enabled, and sure enough, I was able to select the old characters, and it even spawned a monster from an older version. All the map tiles were from the new game though, so seems like it would work.

Anyone know any more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
There are a number of different layouts for each scenario, if you have the old versions selected then there is a chance you will get layouts that require tiles from the older version. I don't now the statistics, but think about half of the layouts use entirely new tiles, so statistically you will have a reasonable chance of not requiring older tiles.

You might be able to proxy old tiles with new tiles that have a similar door lay-out, or someone here suggested drawing the tile as it appears on paper when it arises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JBH1 wrote:
You might be able to proxy old tiles with new tiles that have a similar door lay-out, or someone here suggested drawing the tile as it appears on paper when it arises.

Yep, I might do that, or find some images somewhere of the old tiles and print them off maybe. I know FFG are releasing a pack with all the old map tiles in, but it includes the figs too, which I really dont like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything you say is valid and is something I would advice anyone over buying the 1st edition or the announced cosmetic expansions of the 2e. A lot of the room tiles of the 1st and 2nd edition are highly similar. Differences can be easily solved by using other tiles and correcting doors and walls with the handy door and wall tiles. Get creative and you can easily proxy all the 1st ed stuff using material present in the 2nd edition. Only the 2x3 tiles and the outdoor tiles from CotW are hard to proxy. But for those, you can even just draw them on paper or print something from the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Matheus
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Everything you say is valid and is something I would advice anyone over buying the 1st edition or the announced cosmetic expansions of the 2e. A lot of the room tiles of the 1st and 2nd edition are highly similar. Differences can be easily solved by using other tiles and correcting doors and walls with the handy door and wall tiles. Get creative and you can easily proxy all the 1st ed stuff using material present in the 2nd edition. Only the 2x3 tiles and the outdoor tiles from CotW are hard to proxy. But for those, you can even just draw them on paper or print something from the internet.

That help me a lot. I was thinking in buying the first edition to add more characters and tiles. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you don't mind proxying, then you can certainly go through the trouble of doing so.

Personally, I'm all about the theme and the aesthetic. It would bother me if instead of figures and cool map layouts, I had a bunch of placeholder cardboard marked with Sharpie. Sure the 1st Ed map layouts are all going to be 2x2 or 1x2 just like 2nd Ed, but you're getting a change in visuals that can help the game and mansion feel a bit more expansive and immersive.

It comes down to personal preference I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.