Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Building "Quest" Decks. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug London
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My main problem with Lord of the Rings LCG is that you need different encounter sets to built each quest and some overlap. You end up seeing the same cards over and over again throughout quests. But worst of all it takes a ton of time to sort them out before and after the game. This really prevents me from playing the game as much as I'd like to. Do you guys think the same issue will be present in this game?

If not I'll be selling my lotr collection and diving into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin W
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
My main problem with Lord of the Rings LCG is that you need different encounter sets to built each quest and some overlap. You end up seeing the same cards over and over again throughout quests. But worst of all it takes a ton of time to sort them out before and after the game. This really prevents me from playing the game as much as I'd like to. Do you guys think the same issue will be present in this game?

If not I'll be selling my lotr collection and diving into this.

My guess would be it's going to be the same. It's a cheap way to add variety to each game at the cost of player overhead. Otherwise, they'd have to print a full set of encounters, monsters, whatever for anything they do, which ends up costing dollars for little real benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the general procedure to be similar, but done better as in more tightly controlled themes to the sub-decks by splitting them into smaller units.

We can't say for certain though until FFG releases more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played the LotR LCG, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

In the "Team Covenant" preview video they talk about LotR and how it compares, regarding the Adventure deck building (I guess that is the Quest deck building you refer to). And IIRC, they said that, what they did not like in LotR was that you had quite "big" decks that got shuffled together, so if you went into a forest that was not Myrkwood, it still felt like it was some kind of Myrkwood-related thing. The reply was that, in the AH LCG, there would be SMALLER theme decks, to be combined with other unique decks to build these quest decks.

So I would say, where in the LotR LCG, Quest decks could be built with (I am guessing here) three decks (say, Myrkwood, Orcs and Unique Adventure deck), in AH LCT, that could be six (spiders, darkness, woods, Orks, Uruk-Hai, and Unique).

Meaning: even more sorting.
Now, I don't mind that. It provides greater variety, and that is something I like. But tastes may differ, here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting effort I think is more by number of cards, separating 40 cards into 4 piles or 8 piles isn't that much different. It will take slightly longer to find all the sub-decks though. I'm hoping that this will be sped up by the sub decks having names or numbers rather than just icons so you can sort them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wilson
msg tools
I HATE sorting cards in lotr. I'd gladly pay more to be able to avoid doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainMaverick wrote:
I HATE sorting cards in lotr. I'd gladly pay more to be able to avoid doing that.

You can, in both games. You just buy extra copies of the expansions and you can have all the quest decks build simultaneously. I know someone who did this for all the Nightmare quests so he wouldn't have to fiddle around taking individual cards in and out.

Personally I feel the cost outweighs the benefit for me, but the option is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wilson
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
MountainMaverick wrote:

You can, in both games. You just buy extra copies of the expansions and you can have all the quest decks build simultaneously. I know someone who did this for all the Nightmare quests so he wouldn't have to fiddle around taking individual cards in and out.

Personally I feel the cost outweighs the benefit for me, but the option is there.

That's actually insane. To have all quests premade for lotr you would need at least 5 of every deluxe expansion. I'd be willing to pay more but not that much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it for the first cycle of quests, getting extra encounter sets on ebay is really cheap because there is a market for splitting and selling core sets. But after that you are going to pay full price for everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Weaver
msg tools
mbmb
If you look at a few of the images posted here on BGG you can see monster cards have varying symbols in the middle as do location cards. In at least two different symboled monsters there is a "1/4" at the bottom next to an actual symbol and card number. The symbol is the core set symbol and card number for the set. Sine the few cards we can see have smaller groups of 4 it backs up the statements that we will have smaller numbers of cards per symbol and this allows much more tailoring of the event decks in the game.

As someone else said I think the sorting will be similar to lotr but the symbols are maybe a bit more prominent so it may be a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.