Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't get them for whatever reason, here's the August update backers got yesterday:

There has been communication between the project managers and the print bureau over the past couple of weeks to clarify details and answer questions that the bureau has had over the files and production plans. We have requested proofs of the printed materials.

While the discussion has gone on, we updated the playmats to include the improvements that Drake suggested on the files that the game designer submitted to us.

Packaging details, card dimensions, some changes to the contents versus our initial contract with the print bureau and the resulting costs, as well as improving some of the resolution on print files were all in the mix of these discussions.

I will continue to share these minor details until we get to the really good stuff like proof images and an improved time frame.
Oh, and hey- Happy One Year Anniversary, folks! Who knew we'd all be together THIS long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advocator wrote:
Oh, and hey- Happy One Year Anniversary, folks! Who knew we'd all be together THIS long...
Ah, that wacky American sense of humour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see they did Drake's fixes for the playmats. Also appreciate that they are communicating more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The communication is much better now. I am going to leave my money in the project. When you invest in a company you pays your money and you takes your chances. Kickstater is not a store and the company you had hopes in might not go well. Personally I am hoping that it was a case of getting in over their heads. I heard them on an interview a few months ago and they seemed like generally nice people that wanted to do a good job. They also seemed like they had several irons in the fire and maybe bit off more than they can chew. I am hoping this has caused them to just not have time to work on this specific project until now and that they are just playing a major catch up race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Advocator wrote:

As an American, I see it as Ares/OSS humor, because it's not my humor, or that of anyone I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will stick with my order. I agree that they probably just didn't realize the magnitude of the task. This was my second Kickstarter after Band of Brothers. Since it took this long to get Band of Brothers, I am not too upset by the length of time it is taking for this one. Plus, my perception is that the revision or re-write of the rules for this was a lot more complex/involved than BoB, and I am hoping for a vast improvement over the previous edition rules. And I am happy they are delaying the product until everything is sorted out, rather than pushing out something half-baked or otherwise messed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzen wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
Advocator wrote:

As an American, I see it as Ares/OSS humor, because it's not my humor, or that of anyone I know.

Eh, if you can't poke fun at yourself, who can you poke fun at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
fuzen wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
Advocator wrote:

I don't mind poking fun at myself at all. But as someone who has lived and traveled abroad, I am painfully aware of the stereotypes certain Americans perpetuate, and I like to remind the global community that not all Americans behave that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
fuzen wrote:
Bwian wrote:
fuzen wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
Advocator wrote:

I don't mind poking fun at myself at all. But as someone who has lived and traveled abroad, I am painfully aware of the stereotypes certain Americans perpetuate, and I like to remind the global community that not all Americans behave that way.

Different views I guess...personally, I got a good chuckle out of that line (and I'm an American that's been to about a dozen other countries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The playmats haven't been made. Boxes haven't been made. Cards haven't been made. Game pieces haven't been made. The only thing that has been made is a lot of mistakes.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Now THAT'S American humor.

I expect to see a 2017 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:
The playmats haven't been made. Boxes haven't been made. Cards haven't been made. Game pieces haven't been made. The only thing that has been made is a lot of mistakes.

None of this will stop folk from lashing out at a handful of vocal critics instead of where the focus really belongs, i.e., at Ares Magazine/One Small Step.

Famed sci-fi author Harlan Ellison once commented that people will choose to go through life as either a pebble or a boulder. Most select pebble because they want to avoid conflict, even when they know that something is wrong.

Sometimes it's necessary to be a boulder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Steve Carey wrote:
Sometimes it's necessary to be a boulder.

Space, the high frontier...to bouldly go where no one has gone before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't read today's update if you're hoping to see the game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Joelist wrote:

Too late. For those who aren't backers and can't read the updates:

After 2 requests over 4 days for a status update from the print bureau, we were informed that the game has been assigned to a different production team. Another 4 days and 2 requests for status of production later we received word from the new manager of our project.

The print bureau has requested larger bleed margins on several components, resizing on the cards, has required 2 separate changes to the initial contract, and larger, better resolution files than the playmat files supplied by the game designer.

These changes have been assigned to our in house team and work continues this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comments on the KS page from people who work in the printing industry seem rather concerning here...

In other news, the Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 folks sent me an update yesterday that leads me to think that something I backed only two months ago will likely make it to me this year. Pictures of the box, the manuals, the counters, the board...

I guess the good news is that I've got enough of a gaming backlog that this gives me more time to work my way through that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for us that did not back the kickstarter funding....perhaps a good idea. But it seems the game won't be produced until 2q 2017? if that?

Looking for opinions.
Shame this has happened.

High Frontier is a very respected science game and I know folks are excited to play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Hartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:
So for us that did not back the kickstarter funding....perhaps a good idea. But it seems the game won't be produced until 2q 2017? if that?

Looking for opinions.
Shame this has happened.

High Frontier is a very respected science game and I know folks are excited to play this.

Print and Play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PnP backers were supposed to get their pdf's September 2015. Print copies the month after. At this point they just have some bleed issues before print? If we see pdf's released then perhaps the next month the printing will be done and boxed up. Hello 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the game almost a year late, you would think that if the only thing holding this up was getting existing digital assets to conform to a new spec from a new manager at the same printer, it would be a very fast fix.

If Ares/OSS is taking this campaign seriously, there should be a new update very soon stating that they have corrected the problem and sent everything to the printer.

Those are the facts.

If there is no update, or worse, another update that doesn't show any progress, I would have to think they are stalling, waiting for our banks' time windows to allow a charge back to close. At that point, the easy options for backers to get their money back will be gone. For some, this window has already closed. For others you may have up to two years to dispute the charges.

The KickStarter FAQ has a section on "Accountability", specifically a section on what Creators should do if they are having "problems completing their project". Take a look at it, then decide for yourself if Ares/OSS is operating in good faith, or if you should take action.

Not being abusive towards backers, or the creator. I'm still following this situation because I love High Frontier and it hurts me to read all the backer comments. At this point, I think the time for talking is over. Either quietly wait for Ares/OSS to produce and deliver the game (they may or may not), or talk to your bank to see if you can get a charge back. Whichever you choose, good luck to you.

Then go play some other games. We could all use a break from this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Joelist wrote:

Too late. For those who aren't backers and can't read the updates:

After 2 requests over 4 days for a status update from the print bureau, we were informed that the game has been assigned to a different production team. Another 4 days and 2 requests for status of production later we received word from the new manager of our project.

The print bureau has requested larger bleed margins on several components, resizing on the cards, has required 2 separate changes to the initial contract, and larger, better resolution files than the playmat files supplied by the game designer.

These changes have been assigned to our in house team and work continues this week.

That's strange. I can read that update on Kickstarter and I never backed (only starred) the project. I'm also baffled by the update. After deciding against joining the Kickstarter I had the incredible luck to find a factory sealed HF 2ed and only had to pay its MSRP. I can assure everyone that HF 2ed is professionally printed and looks great so how in the world can a print bureau have a problem with printing assets that have been used before to professionally print a game. I'm shocked.

The updates still sound familiar though. It's always the supplier, the printer, the game designer that causes the delay. I'd say it's time for better project manager to get this game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="PeterZiegler"'cause AM/OSS seems to be a company made of only 2 or 3 "enthusiasts" who can spend only a minimal fraction of a split second per week to work on KS projects.[/q]

Yeah, $180,000 doesn't go as far as it used to ( sarcasm ) .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterZiegler wrote:
The constant belief of those who ask "So - no game for the Spiel 2016?" never ceases to amaze baffle me.
Once they missed last year's Spiel I assumed I was in for the long haul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your convenience:

September 1 Update

As one of the Filthy Five, I'm not the OP. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.