$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 90.86

5,909 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.2% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » General

Subject: How many heroes should be used? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yell armageddon
msg tools
Hello,

I just got a copy of heroquest.
Now I am wondering what the best number of used heroes should be, when playing with less than 5 players.
How well does the game scale with more heroes (does it scale at all)?

Thanks
yell
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All heroes should be used, if 3 players 2 play with 2 each, if 2 players, all 4.

There are some solo quest for 2 players with 1 hero.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yell armageddon
msg tools
alright, thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't precisely following the rules, but you could try playing with just two Heroes and allow two weapon attacks per Hero. Maybe allow a used healing potion card or two to be returned to the treasure deck as well. A pair of Heroes will gear up faster, so plan on mercenaries later or perhaps halve the gold-coin Quest teasure.

If you plan on playing with more than four Heroes, you could add in an extra Morcar/Zargon turn after the first two or three Heroes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the King send some assistance (NPC) to help, my two sons play with one hero each (all 4 heroes if their friends are over), but work together better that way
It sure helped when I played the Wizard (an apprentice wanting to learn more Combat Magic)
I was able to use spells better to give them ideas for later
the Dwarf I had reading the ruins and telling them how important to search for traps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yell wrote:
Hello,

I just got a copy of heroquest.
Now I am wondering what the best number of used heroes should be, when playing with less than 5 players.
How well does the game scale with more heroes (does it scale at all)?

Thanks
yell


Its meant to be run with at least three. 4 seems optimal. But 3 is doable and theres some advice in there for running with 2.

The base game cannot handle more than 4. EG: 4 players and 1 Morcar/Zargon/Whatever.

At least one of the expansions I believe added a 5th character and another added some henchmen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygnu wrote:
This isn't precisely following the rules, but you could try playing with just two Heroes and allow two weapon attacks per Hero. Maybe allow a used healing potion card or two to be returned to the treasure deck as well. A pair of Heroes will gear up faster, so plan on mercenaries later or perhaps halve the gold-coin Quest teasure.

If you plan on playing with more than four Heroes, you could add in an extra Morcar/Zargon turn after the first two or three Heroes.


Good ideas here, garynu.

My daughters like to play female versions of the heroes (imagine that!). We're starting a campaign soon of probably 6 heroes. I like the thought of one extra Zargon turn for every 2 additional heroes. Perhaps one Zargon turn after every 3 hero activations. Maybe spawn twice as many monsters too. I'll give that some more thought. Recommendations are always appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you travel, Both the Elf and Barbarian quest packs had adventures that were strictly "solo" hero play. One hero vs. Zargon. Return of the Witch Lord does have one scenario that entails the heroes being split into pairs for a short period of time.

That mentioned, I acknowledge this is outside the scope of the OP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yell wrote:
Hello,

I just got a copy of heroquest.
Now I am wondering what the best number of used heroes should be, when playing with less than 5 players.
How well does the game scale with more heroes (does it scale at all)?

Thanks
yell


The fully co-op version of the game is worth a try if you've got less than 5 players :

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134381/co-op-original-que...

You will always be best having all 4 heroes, but this way if there's only 2 players you can take 2 heroes each, which is perfectly manageable in such a straightforward game such as HeroQuest.
It's even possible to solo the game once you are familiar with it, though in that case I would suggest dispensing with the 2D6 rolls for hero movement. Go for Elf 8, Barbarian and Wizard 7, Dwarf 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GEORGE PARASKEVOPOULOS
Greece
ATHENS
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yell wrote:
Hello,

I just got a copy of heroquest.
Now I am wondering what the best number of used heroes should be, when playing with less than 5 players.
How well does the game scale with more heroes (does it scale at all)?

Thanks
yell

Congratz, It's the best game ever!

As a veteran of HQ I suggest you to play with 4 heroes the original missions. After that you will be ready to create your own quests and put more or less monsters to balance the number of the players you want to have.

Have in mind that with full equipped heroes some monsters will die in one hit, so if you have two players (one hero each) you should add at least +2 monsters more in every room.

For example, for two heroes you need a room with 4 orcs. In the first round they will kill one orc each and then the two remaining orcs will try to hit. For four heroes you need 6 orcs. This is a good balance for a challenging encounter.

But for the start use all of your heroes. It’s a good way to learn the game. Even with only two players, I suggest you to give the Dwarf and the Elf to the real player, and to the GM the Barbarian and the Wizard, to move them as NPCs.

My main character is a Wizard and I have the final word to what I want to do, but we are always discusses what spell to do. So, it’s a good player for NPC. Always put a wizard in your games or else you have to give many potions in your quests (especially if you use the European rule for potions*)

*European rule(the most common): If you fall to 0 hp you can’t use a potion. You are dead. So, you have to use your healings and potions wisely.
*American rule: If you fall to 0 hp, if you hold a potion you can drink it normally and stay alive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gtparas wrote:

*European rule(the most common): If you fall to 0 hp you can’t use a potion. You are dead. So, you have to use your healings and potions wisely.
*American rule: If you fall to 0 hp, if you hold a potion you can drink it normally and stay alive.


The way you play the potions makes a huge difference doesn't it? I've tried both rulings, and can't decide which I prefer.
The Euro way is much more tense, you can really die gulp But realistically, the wizard with only 4 health can never risk getting stuck in to the fighting - as soon as he loses 1 wound he needs to heal up to avoid the risk of being killed by a common Orc.
The American rule is very friendly, you're never going to die so long as you've got a potion handy, and the wizard can get involved in the fight to a much greater extent. I suppose you must decide what type of game you're after.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:

I would suggest dispensing with the 2D6 rolls for hero movement. Go for Elf 8, Barbarian and Wizard 7, Dwarf 6.


No, no and more no's... Don't do it... It destroys the game. Fixed movement crawlers are stale boring. Can I escape, yes. Will that monster catch me, no. Can I catch it, yes/no. Everything is know. There's no fun in that.

The dungeon is dark, smelly, scary place, unfamiliar and filled with freaky noises. Could an adventurer progress the maximum speed they required every time or would hazards potentially slow their progress?

Roll high and need it represent good footing as you sprint ahead. Roll low and you need it, you weren't so lucky in your attempts to scramble forward. Roll high and don't need it, all's good. Most the time you don't need a full roll and 7 is the average.

We even include Hazard! roll a double 1 and you might lose a BP. Fixes quite a few game issues.

Here's some of our house rules. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUqoUE_JiOud21ESFhLaG9hS1U...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
marlowc wrote:

I would suggest dispensing with the 2D6 rolls for hero movement. Go for Elf 8, Barbarian and Wizard 7, Dwarf 6.


No, no and more no's... Don't do it... It destroys the game. Fixed movement crawlers are stale boring. Can I escape, yes. Will that monster catch me, no. Can I catch it, yes/no. Everything is know. There's no fun in that.


Rolling for movement is OK if you are only controlling 1 or 2 heroes each. I prefer fixed movement if you're doing a solo bash, cuts down on the hassle of running all 4 heroes yourself. But of course, as with everything in this marvellous game you're free to play it how you want
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:
marlowc wrote:

I would suggest dispensing with the 2D6 rolls for hero movement. Go for Elf 8, Barbarian and Wizard 7, Dwarf 6.


No, no and more no's... Don't do it... It destroys the game. Fixed movement crawlers are stale boring. Can I escape, yes. Will that monster catch me, no. Can I catch it, yes/no. Everything is know. There's no fun in that.


Rolling for movement is OK if you are only controlling 1 or 2 heroes each. I prefer fixed movement if you're doing a solo bash, cuts down on the hassle of running all 4 heroes yourself. But of course, as with everything in this marvellous game you're free to play it how you want


Both sides of this debate have merit, so I've been using a hybrid approach for about two campaigns now and it's worked great for me:

Movement = 1d6 + modifier.

Modifiers:
Barbarian = 5
Dwarf = 3
Elf = 6
Wizard = 4

And Platemail, for example, cuts the modifier in half, rounded down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I flipped it - fixed movement for the heroes, random movement for the monsters. Still unpredictable but not due to a skilled fighter constantly falling over flat paving stones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Wagener
France
flag msg tools
I'm using 2d6 dice for movement, but i have a small frustration reduction device.
For 75 gold, you can buy that card. Thanks to GimmeYerGold over at YeOldeInn for the boots picture.



Generally, non-fixed movement is a good idea so that you're never too sure about your range. But that point about frustration is valid as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.