Subject: A first Apocalypse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

I finally entered the "green" DotZ world.

Villagers and Chaos complement the game system now.

The sessions as usual is not scripted. Whatever happened was the result of the game system and game play.

The battle for Farmingdale started at 06:00.

The main protagonists: A.J. Clarke, S. Young, S. Bigelow, M. Hernandez, Sh. Hunt, Mr. Johnson, and the Farmingdale Furies. The defenders also included 7 militia units and 5 groups of villagers.

Turn 1 (main actions)
"Hospital Efficiency"

07:00
Red Zeds attacked East Irek. The militia was driven away with heavy losses. "Refugees on the march."

Turn 2 (main actions)
"Rule #7: Cardio"

Large scale advance of Zeds in the Suburbs.
Audrey (WIA) evaded the Red Zeds entering the university.

11:30
Zeds attacked Beauxville. Sheriff Hunt decided to stay and fight.
"Enemy repulsed."

12:00
N. Towers showed up in the mountains.

13:00
Second attack against Beauxville.
"Let's fight. Damn the undead!"
"They shall not pass!" The defiant villagers cheered. The Zeds were mowed down like grain.

14:00
Third attack against Beauxville.
"Clear!"
Hunt became the hero of the day.

Nicola attacked the Zeds in the mountains. The surprised enemy fell back in confusion.

Turn 3 (main actions)
"Hunting Lodge located"

19:00 Early night attack at the university held by Audrey's team.
The attackers were defeated, Audrey WIA.

Turn 4 (main actions)
"Soldiers of Fortune"

Outbreak!

23:00
Lefty's Pass under attack.
The barricade held and the undead were back in the mountains.
Another attack at the university. The defenders suffered. Audrey WIA.
Combat experience allows her to rise to skill level 7.
After eliminating the Zeds by accurate gunfire, the team advanced to East Irek.
A few minutes later, the university swarmed with Zeds.

Situation at 00:30

To be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The next four game turns.

Turn 5 (main actions)
"Wandering Zeds"

01:30
Nicola was ambushed in the East Side. "Not worth mentioning."

Outbreak! More Zeds in the Suburbs.

02:00
Stenchy Zeds attacked Ingeburg. It was a disaster. The local militia unit was wiped out.

03:00
Audrey charged the Zeds at the university.
Nicola achieved skill level 4. "Welcome in the team!"

Turn 6 (main actions)
"Contamination at the hospital"

08:00
"Condition Red!" "Red Zeds had infiltrated Suburbia."
This new threat was instantly crushed by Audrey's team. The remaining undead occupied the Farmingdale bridge. They were shot to pieces.

Nicola attacked the Teds outside Lefty's Pass. WIA. Enemy destroyed.

Turn 7 (main actions)

13:30
First refugees arrived at the camp.

Turn 8 (main actions)
"Toxic Zeds"

16:30
The Stenchy Zeds stormed Ingeburg. The FF forced them back.

17:30
The attack continued.

18:30
The final assault.
"We defeated them." But the FF were down to a few men; it no longer was a fighting unit. "Let's head for the hospital."

Situation at 20:00

Here is the overall "recce" situation. Spaces with a value of 1 or higher may contain some surprises for those defenders entering it.
This element adds some thrill and forces the player(s) to take this into consideration also.

To be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Act II had started.

Turn 9 (main actions)

20:00
E.S. Lawrence arrived at Farmingdale. A most welcome reinforcement.

21:00
A well coordinated advance on all four approach lines. First, an attack at Lefty's Pass. Failure, but Nicola WIA.

22:00
The toxic Zeds attacked Ingeburg. "Run, you bastards!"
The depleted ranks of the Zeds refilled in many places.

23:00
St.Thomas under attack! Checked! WIA.
Assault at Lefty's Pass. Checked! Nicola WIA.
The university was assaulted next. Checked! Audrey WIA.

"Utter Chaos"

Outbreak! In the Mountains.

St.Thomas was attacked again. "Not that many rotten ones left."

01:00
"They're back!" Sammy WIA. "No one left."

Massive attack force at the university. Audrey WIA. "We must retreat!"

Another large force attacked Lefty's Pass. Checked!

Turn 10 (main actions)
"Right beneath our Feet"

A tunnel exit was detected at St.Thomas. "Blow it up!" And so it happened. Whoever was down there never made it out.

A Zeds mob tried again to capture Lefty's Pass. "Hold your fire!" At point-blank range, the defenders unleashed hell. The undead ranks were shredded and the few left standing withdrew in frustration. Nicola WIA. "It begins to hurt, I'm afraid to admit."

04:00
Ingeburg under attack again. "Now that was easy." The defenders were puzzled. But they learned about that foolish attack's reason pretty soon.

Unchecked Outbreak!

Spotters reported: "We are doomed. Slimy, disgusting creatures are coming from the south."

05:00
Attack against Beauxville. Repulsed.

"Progress"

((It is possible to start another Event whilst still processing the first one, i.e. Events may happen within Events. Adds a lot of fun to game play.))

05:30
"They're coming!" "We are doomed." "The end is near."
"Nuts!" Sheriff Hunt barked. "Time to blow up that road and the creatures walking it."
A huge explosion rocked the area.
"The undead are not walking."

07:30
Second attempt to take Beauxville. Lawrence eliminated this attack force. "More are coming." "I'm not really surprised."

A renewed attack against Lefty*s Pass. Another local victory for the defenders. "There are more."

"I think I see somebody"

As the dust of the explosion settled, a huge truck came into sight. "That d... Carter! Always there when you need him." Sheriff Hunt grinned.

Turn 11 (main actions)
"Tough Zeds"

"Here they come again!" A new battle raged at Lefty's Pass. Repulsed.

14:00
Again! "Clear!"
The people of Lefty's Pass cheered Nicola. "She's our rock of defense."

16:00
"Reporting back for duty." The Farmingdale Furies were ready to fight again.

Lawrence's accurate continuous assault rifle fire eliminated the undead force occupying the university. Audrey promptly advanced into this place of chaos.

Turn 12 (main actions)
"A Fed Zed ain't a dead Zed"

"Hit & Run"

18:00
Traitors all over the place. All heroes were attacked by single fanatics. "Do not fight the inevitable." "Die! Now!"
A serious blow for the defenders: Young (WIA), Bigelow (WIA), Hunt (WIA), Hernandez (WIA), Carter (brought to hospital).

18:30
Audrey's team discovered high ground in the ruins of the university. "That's good for shootin'."

Situation at 19:30

Here are the killing fields of the undead. Each cross marks an eliminated Zeds unit. The game system will react as the defenders are more and more successful. There might happen something really nasty if those killing fields grow. Dr. Marteuse always has some sinister methods of retaliation prepared.

To be continued.

What do you think? There will be more modifications and additions addressed here.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read so far! How long does this game take you, either solo or with others? And do you find it fiddly? This has been on my radar and reading seasons like this get me excited to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt.

Be warned, I am slightly biased when it comes to DotZ. I started with the 1st edition, and worked myself through all three editions as an addicted player.
The Dotz game system is neither simple nor for the faint-hearted. As all game systems incorporating a simulation system, it requires a few pre-requisites from the players in order to like and finally play it intensively and with pleasure to the mind.

(1) You should like/accept the topic and all its intrinsic implications. For example, if you have no passion/interest for history, do not try a game like CRUEL NECESSITY. Otherwise you will find every bit and inch of the game system unnecessarily complex and fiddly (?). Lucky those that try such a game and have their interest actually inspired by playing the game.

(2) Prepare yourself for quite a load of frustration as you dig into the game system. Comprehending it is one thing, applying it another. A designer, producer, whatever of a game does not know you (or me). So the game rules are not written as you would have, but as their mind and ratio told them to do. If you like to "translate" their stuff to your liking, you'll win, otherwise the game box might end catching dust on a shelf.

(3) Enjoy playing the game. DotZ is not an abstract game like Chess, for example. If your mind does not develop a "narrative" as you play a game like DotZ, keep your fingers off it. As Peter Perla wrote in his essay "Why Wargaming Works", a game like DotZ turns into a story, you became part of, and more, which you will write!

(4) Tune games like DotZ. Some would say: "Those fanatics make a game even more fiddly. I only use what's in the box. And if something is missing that should be there, or I detect an error, I complain and shout."
Poor lads!
The real fun, and I mean the REAL fun, is tuning a game system like the one of DotZ to your liking. Add elements, modify procedures, make things even more complex (apparently; I call it "smoothing things"), and turn the original system/model into your personal gadget that creates challenges and entertainment of the mind better and better.

My final verdict: Get DotZ (after consideration what my awkward words were trying to offer) if you want to experience and create stories of the few brave ones against the hordes of idiots led by some brains in the dark with sinister plans. (No intent to compare this with the real world.)

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The story continues.

Turn 13 (main actions)
"Black Death"

Unchecked Outbreak! Doom Zeds in the suburbs.

"Zeds Disease Quickening"

21:30
Red Zeds knocked at the barricade of Ingeburg. "Entrance denied."

Turn 14 (main actions)
"Stocked Barn Discovered"

23:30
Night battle for Lefty's Pass. "They don't get it, do they?"
Nicola WIA.

Turn 15 (main actions)
"Well-armed Civilians"

01:30
The militia of Beauxville got a whole bunch of new and effective weapons, "Let them come."

Turn 16 (main actions)
"Wandering Zeds"

Out of nowhere, Audrey was attacked at the university. "Brainless idiots."

"P.E.T.Z. Protests"
Rioting in Farmingdale (4 supply lost).

04:00
Brutal fight at St.Thomas. Enemy eliminated, Sammy WIA.

Fight at the university. "This place has turned into a cemetary."

05:30
Colonel Kingman arrived. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm the vanguard of the troops to show up ... ahem ... soon. Maybe."

Situation at 05:30

I use a slightly different rules set for Ammo. Any interest in that?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I very much like story-driven games, or games that create a narrative. Some of my favorites are Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness (2nd ed), Descent, Space Cadets: Away Missions, etc. That's why I've been so intrigued by this. Hopefully I'll find some way to try-before-I-buy, but if not, I'll just be on the lookout for a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.