33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can You help me select among these 2 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2 [+] player [+] my [+] comments [+] on [+] [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I was looking for a two player board game that is maximum on the médium scale to understand. I have these on my list:
1)Race for the Galaxy
2)Hive
3)Takenoko
4)Jaipur(the one that least interest me because of the theme. By I am open minded to fun games).
bonus question: Is the box of the game you recommend big (ala Ticket to Ride) or small. I will have the game ship overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is my favorite of those! If you want a game you can play 50-100 times, you should pick Race For The Galaxy instead, but it will have more of a learning curve. RFTG is a small box and Jaipur is even smaller.

Takenoko is awful, don't bother.

Hive is very small indeed, and I hear players of abstract games like it, but I think it is too heavy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah W
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a phenomenal two player game. There is quite a learning curve with the iconography but the gameplay itself is relatively straight forward. Box size is also smaller than a TTR box, but bigger than Hiver or Jaipur.

Takenoko is definitely on the lighter side of medium and didn't feel like it offered much replayability to me. Big TTR sized box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is great for introducing to new gamers or for casual, quick play. I often play it during lunch breaks with a co-worker, and we enjoy it a lot. It can get a little stale if you play it over and over, though.

Race for the Galaxy is fantastic, once you get accustomed to the iconography. I would recommend this one if you are looking for something that will be played many, many times. And then there are expansions if you like it enough. I learned how to play through the Keldon AI, and can now teach it to anyone in just a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to spend a game or two looking up the icons, I also think Race is the winner. Jaipur and Hive are good, light and portable games for a quick game at a cafe, but Race is the game that keeps getting played over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
It probably does depend on who the 2nd player is. If this a game for couples then don't sell takenoko short! Although it is a normal sized box game. I have them all but race, and my wife enjoys all 3. In the order of takenoko, jaipur, hive. She just loves the panda lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
I was looking for a two player board game that is maximum on the médium scale to understand. I have these on my list:
1)Race for the Galaxy
2)Hive
3)Takenoko
4)Jaipur(the one that least interest me because of the theme. By I am open minded to fun games).
bonus question: Is the box of the game you recommend big (ala Ticket to Ride) or small. I will have the game ship overseas.

Of all these options, I enjoy Jaipur the most. Hive comes in second for me. Now, I know the theme of Jaipur doesn't speak to you specifically, but I encourage you to try it because it's simultaneously really simple and surprisingly deep on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive! My wife and I just recently hiked the Colorado Trail and brought along Hive Pocket. We played that game almost every day for 36 days, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day and after we got back home still play it regularly! But it all depends on who you are and what types of games you like... hive is very chess like (better than chess in my humble opinion) but open-ended and more fun than chess I think. I don't have any experience with the other games on you list so to me Hive is the best choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
The second player is my gf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I made the "mistake" of buying Agricola. We cannot start playing it because of the complexity of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we can really make valuable recommendations unless we know what games you have enjoyed thus far and which one were misses. Knowing that Agricola was a bit much is a good data point, but if you have any more favorite or least favorite games to share, please do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
jcgonzmo wrote:
The second player is my gf.

My guess is she will like takenoko, it is a very cute game. Definitely the least portable of the group. Hive is a quick game, lasts 10 minutes or so, but you will rarely just play one game, and the pocket version comes in a nice bag. Jaipur is about 30 minutes and like everyone said is extremely fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
imyourskribe wrote:
I don't think we can really make valuable recommendations unless we know what games you have enjoyed thus far and which one were misses. Knowing that Agricola was a bit much is a good data point, but if you have any more favorite or least favorite games to share, please do so!

We only have 3.
Ticket to Ride
Last night on earth+ Growing Hunger
Agricola

Of the three we had a lot of fun with the first two. However we always came back to TTR because it was easy to setup and go. Basically plug and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
By the way guys feel free apart from suggesting among the games I gave you, to add up ONE recommendation. I can look it up! Thanks!(do not forget to mention the packing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If those three are the only games you have, then I'd stay away from Race for the Galaxy, at least for now. Jaipur is still a good choice for 2P.

Another 2P game that I would recommend is 7 Wonders: Duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
I made the "mistake" of buying Agricola. We cannot start playing it because of the complexity of the rules.

Forget Race for the Galaxy then.

I own all 4 and play with my wife. Check with your Gf because she might value game themes a lot.

Takenoko would be the best for light strategy with an appealing theme (big square box).
Jaipur is a really compact small box.
Hive is a 5-10 minutes abstract, chess-like. My wife destroys me for some reason.

I would vote Jaipur as space seems to be a constraint.

Otherwise, couple more suggestions in super small games for 2:
- Hanabi is a coop game which is awesome with 2, one of our favorite
- Star Realms is also space themed, size of a deck of cards, play fast, and can introduce you to deck building games like Dominion for the future.

have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have really enjoyed Carcassonne over the years. Base game is good, expansions can add some fun and variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Jaipur is my favorite of those! If you want a game you can play 50-100 times, you should pick Race For The Galaxy instead, but it will have more of a learning curve. RFTG is a small box and Jaipur is even smaller.

Takenoko is awful, don't bother.

Hive is very small indeed, and I hear players of abstract games like it, but I think it is too heavy to play.

Uh...wha...?!

Takenoko is awful?!
Amazing to hear that- it is rated well, has a good following, and by golly, people like it.

And it has pandas.

Are we talking about the same game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
People really love Jaipur! Definitely will give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the games you have listed can be played on boardgamearena.com. That would be a good way to try them out to see which you would like best. If you're looking for the most complexity then I'd go with Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to offer you some different suggestions:

San Juan (second edition) - it is an has an easier entry point than Race for the Galaxy and has the same kind of tableau/engine building feel where cards have multiple uses.

Agricola is a tough entry into worker placement. Two easier workpkermplacwment games you might consider are:

Stone Age - this was the first worker placement for my wife and I and we still enjoy it.

Snowdonia - this is a bit more complicated than Stone Age but is terrific and scales well to 2

A third you might consider is Lords of Waterdeep, about the same level as Stone Age just set in a more thematic universe.

A more entry level game you might look at is New York 1901 - it has a simple rule set and I think you could find it quite deep as you become more comfortable with it.

And, my wife and I enjoy Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out Targi (larger box than Jaipur, but not huge) & Burgle Bros. (not solely for 2 players, but definitely fun with 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Keith
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with the suggestion to check out Targi. I also think you should consider either The Duke or Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game over Hive for an abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I definitely second Carcassonne. It's one of the classic gateways, second only to Ticket to Ride. And it's an excellent 2 player game. And the box is small. Out of the ones you list, I would put Takenoko first, then Jaipur. Forget Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whavoc wrote:

Check out Targi (larger box than Jaipur, but not huge) & Burgle Bros. (not solely for 2 players, but definitely fun with 2).

Seconded! As someone who nearly plays exclusively with two, these are both fantastic games (as well as Jaipur).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.