Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently played the MotT and mostly enjoyed what was certainly different pick-up/deliver game.

However, we were stumped on one thing (well others probably but this was the biggest issue).

When a Transport card is drawn, the Caravan and Ship will go to the Holy Land (at least early on). Players can then load the Ship - in turn order - paying the cost to do so.

What we could not figure out was:

1) If a Ship has to sail the turn its loaded (regardless of the amount of cargo)?
2) However, if the Ship could remain in place who decides to move it on a subsequent round? And actually, other than allowing all players a chance to load, how is a stay or sail decision made?
3) Once the last delivery has been made, can a player sail the Ship back to the Holy Land and again, who decides?

Mostly we moved the Ships the turn they were first placed (Caravans take so long that no one wanted to hold them back). The reason for staying in place (other than maybe having additional cargo) is the Saracen attacks launch against ALL Transport - Knights, Caravans and Ships. Unless you were allowed to hold a Ship for a round, I don't believe the Saracens would never have Transport to attack.

There is a 2nd question here: are Novices able to be Transported or must they first become Knights?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
We recently played the MotT and mostly enjoyed what was certainly different pick-up/deliver game.

However, we were stumped on one thing (well others probably but this was the biggest issue).

When a Transport card is drawn, the Caravan and Ship will go to the Holy Land (at least early on). Players can then load the Ship - in turn order - paying the cost to do so.

1) If a Ship has to sail the turn its loaded (regardless of the amount of cargo)?
2) However, if the Ship could remain in place who decides to move it on a subsequent round? And actually, other than allowing all players a chance to load, how is a stay or sail decision made?
3) Once the last delivery has been made, can a player sail the Ship back to the Holy Land and again, who decides?

Mostly we moved the Ships the turn they were first placed (Caravans take so long that no one wanted to hold them back). The reason for staying in place (other than maybe having additional cargo) is the Saracen attacks launch against ALL Transport - Knights, Caravans and Ships. Unless you were allowed to hold a Ship for a round, I don't believe the Saracens would never have Transport to attack.

There is a 2nd question here: are Novices able to be Transported or must they first become Knights?

Thanks.

1) If no one pays the transport cost then it doesn't move. You should take every opportunity to use them though. It's the best way to get your Resources to Europe.

2) See page 17. Ships and Caravans travel to each destination allotted to it traveling to the nearest destination first. Equal distances are decided in Initiative order. Subsequent decisions are based on who wants to pay for it.

3)Same as above

Novices are Resources so they can be Transported. This is the prize winner of a game with fabulous components but wonky and arbitrary rules that few people want to play or even know about. I've wanted to bring attention to and rework many of these but the game has been relegated to the shelf for awhile. I'm interested again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
LHIM wrote:

Thanks.

1) If no one pays the transport cost then it doesn't move. You should take every opportunity to use them though. It's the best way to get your Resources to Europe.

2) See page 17. Ships and Caravans travel to each destination allotted to it traveling to the nearest destination first. Equal distances are decided in Initiative order. Subsequent decisions are based on who wants to pay for it.

3)Same as above

Novices are Resources so they can be Transported. This is the prize winner of a game with fabulous components but wonky and arbitrary rules that few people want to play or even know about. I've wanted to bring attention to and rework many of these but the game has been relegated to the shelf for awhile. I'm interested again.

Whatever you want to add, please do! I am one of the people (and there are only a few of us) who thoroughly love this game and everything it presents, but because the rules are so wonky (as you put it), it got relegated to the shelf by nearly everyone.

I consider this game to be a "hidden gem" within my collection, and I have been try to get my gaming group to get it to the table. Given the time commitment, it's kind of a joke when, 30 minutes before it is time to break for the evening, I propose a "quick game of Mystery of the Templars", and we get a good chuckle. I need to suggest Mystery at the start of the evening, not the end!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See "Holy House Rules" below. We began with a Stacking Event deck variant we will always use if we do play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.