44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't have the first edition, I haven't opened the Upgrade Kit. I'm at my FLGS, however, and they have the 1st Edition expansions on sale? Are those usable without the first edition base game? Is it worth it?

I tried searching, but couldn't find everything I was looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you don't intend to play 1st edition and both combined are less than $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
The upgrade kit covers everything, so I think the expansions would work without 1st edition. I can't confirm that 100% but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the investigators, monsters and tiles. You can enable the expansions in the app without adding in the first edition. So I think it would work just fine. I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible with 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Since I don't have the first edition, I haven't opened the Upgrade Kit. I'm at my FLGS, however, and they have the 1st Edition expansions on sale? Are those usable without the first edition base game? Is it worth it?

I tried searching, but couldn't find everything I was looking for...

I believe so, but more importantly you could unload them for decent money anyway (I suspect that's true even with the conversion expansions coming, just because of the collector value, though probably not for hundreds like they were going for).

Do some EBay recon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I doubt that the 1st ed expansions will be worth much after the 2nd ed expansions come out. They look like they include all of the 1sf ed content with updated icons and other details.
As for using the upgrade kit w/o the 1st ed box, This probably won't work. Since the game is app driven, you have no way to filter out part you don't have. For example you can't enable the new investigators w/o the app attempting to use the associated map tiles and monsters. It's all or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Compton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is releasing first edition content, including expansions, as two second edition expansions (in the fall, I think). They're on the website at $50 each. From what I know, the content includes all of the investigators, tiles, and monsters.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
err404 wrote:
I doubt that the 1st ed expansions will be worth much after the 2nd ed expansions come out. They look like they include all of the 1sf ed content with updated icons and other details.
As for using the upgrade kit w/o the 1st ed box, This probably won't work. Since the game is app driven, you have no way to filter out part you don't have. For example you can't enable the new investigators w/o the app attempting to use the associated map tiles and monsters. It's all or nothing.

You can enable what you have in the app and what you don't have in the app. So wouldn't that filter it right there? Doesn't the app just pull content from what you have enabled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:

But not the 1st ed scenarios/cards. I think you're underestimating the collector value of anything out of print. I wouldn't even hesitate for a second about buying Call of the Wild in shrink for a retail price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
More Mellotron wrote:
err404 wrote:

But not the 1st ed scenarios/cards. I think you're underestimating the collector value of anything out of print. I wouldn't even hesitate for a second about buying Call of the Wild in shrink for a retail price.

That and while the 2nd edition may streamline and elimate the keeper player. Some people may still want to go back and play a one vs all game of this every now and then! Especially at a halloween game night type scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
err404 wrote:

You can enable what you have in the app and what you don't have in the app. So wouldn't that filter it right there? Doesn't the app just pull content from what you have enabled?

Yes it does. Each 1e thing is separately enabled so 1e Base, Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy. Simply enable what you have and it will only add that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.