Subject: Combining location decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Hobbs
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
I picked TLN up at GenCon. My intention was to combine the two games and play with all the cards. However, as has been noted in other posts, having location decks in excess of 20 cards can screw up some of the main objectives.

I addressed that issue by combining the decks, throwing out duplicate cards, and developing a matrix that will allow players to have decks of 20 cards for each location. It adds a bit of time to setup for randomizing, but I feel that adds to the randomness of searching.

I would also recommend sleeving the location decks in sleeves with colored backs. There is a slight color variation between the old and new game that the colored backs do well in hiding. 183 sleeves are needed for all 7 location decks and the starter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty good. SO you took out the food 1s and replaced them all with Food/trade? And the other two kinds as well.

I feel like the 21card decks you could probably leave alone. I don't see that 1 card making that much of a difference. Just remove 1 card if you play the Raiding Party objective. ON the hospital, you could do one of each Steroid/ Adrenaline shot.

The issue is the other two locations, which require some setup. I like the simplicity of combining all and dealing 20, but that could really screw the game up in a lot of places...and you wouldn't know until the game was over. I think i need a few games of 'combine' all to see how bad it messes with certain moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hobbs
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
I used the Food/Trade cards because of their new use. Food 2 and 3 remain the same in TLN (no new use) The same with the Junk/Advance and the Fuel/Fire cards.

I put the options in on the 21 card decks for purists. For the hospital, because of how a "random" search could go, and because of the different effects of the steroids and the adrenaline, I like the random aspect of taking two of the four.

I don't like the "combine and deal 20" option because of the locations themselves. Since the item symbols at the tops of the locations show the likelihood of finding item types, I tried to maintain the frequency of items in the decks in relation to the item symbols/likelihood on the location cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have randomised my decks by separating the different types of card in each location. Shuffling each type. Splitting them evenly. Now I have two location decks for each location. I pick one for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added the different items to my deck (ex: books in the Library) and added a couple of food / gas / medicine tokens to keep the random ratio of necessary colony / crisis items to special items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.