Popular Tags: [View All]
Philihp Busby
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys

New to the 18XX genre and really impressed at how devoted the fan base is to the game. I can see why, too, after getting halfway theough the rule book. I bought this on a whim at GenCon, and I'm about to play 1854 with some friends tomorrow, all of which are new.

Question: Is there any way for a player to leave early that is fair to the others?

Is it better to just skip that player, or to end the game early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Call the game. Play again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Call the game. Play again later.

Yup. Best bet is to just set a time limit and all players agree to it. Play with that time limit as the end game condition.

I have had some success with an experienced player taking over a position, but it's best to just call it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
More simply, finishing games doesn't matter. Any single game or fraction of a game is just a blip. The journey is bigger than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
More simply, finishing games doesn't matter. Any single game or fraction of a game is just a blip. The journey is bigger than that.

Yes and no. I'd rather not start a game where I know we'll have to stop midway through, particularly if it has the complexity of an 18xx, and particularly with new-to-me games. I'd like to know whether my long-term strategy has any merit, otherwise I can't learn anything from the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philihp Busby
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome, thanks :)

First game (of 1855, seemed to be the faster of the two) ended maybe a round before phase 4, and only one company had split. That lokalbahn map gets crowded fast! It took about 120 minutes of all of us reading the rules to really figure things out. We have many questions; I'll in a separate thread.

I had a thought of liquidating the one player's assets, but went with the hive mind and just called the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.