Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Netrunner core game as a 2-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm new to Netrunner. For a while now the core game and a number of the first & second cycles & deluxe expansions have been sat on my shelf waiting to be played.

As with many noobs it feels kinda daunting where to begin in what is now such a well-established, expansive world. When I finally get going I've decided that the best way to catch up is to work my way through the expansions as they were released to re-live the experience that many did at the time, so as to try and enjoy and get the most out of each one. As argued here:

taylor20k wrote:
MainManDetroit wrote:
I have bought almost all the data packs as well as deluxe expansions, and yet to play. I just played the base game this weekend and loved it. I don't want to be overwhelmed by opening too many data packs. What should I start with? We're there any that sucked? Should I go in order?

I think going in order is good. the packs came out in that order for a reason. the designers let certain factions have their day in the sun of being good and then they print answers to things that they foresee will become too strong without a counter.

I wish I could go back and open the open the packs slower since I bought it all at once. that way I could enjoy the different metas that evolved as the game went on. however, it's not that practical unless you're only playing with a group of people who all did the same thing and all want to take it slow.

As with most games though, when I start I will likely be playing with friends and family, none of which will have A:N. So my question is this: is Netrunner a game that can be played out of the box by 2 people, or do you need a second set of the core set (from what I understand not a bad thing anyway for when you step things up and play more competitively) to be able to play the game to understand the mechanics and basics. That is, can I take the core set and will 2 of us be able to put together corp & runner decks from it to get going?

I'm not talking about the deck building element of the game here, just the basic playing of the game. Is this possible, or are there certain core cards that are essential to both sides and thus cannot be divided to make a viable game?

And once going, is it possible to continue in this vain with the expansions, or at some point does Netrunner become more of a solo venture played against other people's cards rather than sharing the cards?

I welcome any advice you seasoned players and noobs have to offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooles wrote:
Is this possible, or are there certain core cards that are essential to both sides and thus cannot be divided to make a viable game?

It's certainly possible. For a while, it was the most common way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The long answer:

The runner can only use runner cards, and the corporation can only use corporation cards in their decks. One core will be possible to play, but you have more, so it should be fine. You're really starved for agendas without expansions, and they're the primary goals of the game.

When the corp builds a deck there must be a number of agenda cards based on how many cards are in the deck, and both sides must also watch the influence costs (a core stat which can change with each identity). Some cards are considered very powerful and have higher influence costs to try to avoid build one deck that rules them all.

Two cores give you an easier time building, but so do deluxe packs. For casual play I'd suggest ONLY buying the one core and the four deluxe sets initially. This will give you ~70-80 extra cards for each faction and a few neutrals, which should be sufficient for years of play if you also change up the decks every now and then.

If playing with others you'll find people generally follow tournament rules. This means that with rotation looming, the first two cycles of packs aren't so hot anymore (I've heard people say they don't use any cards from them already), so I'd look to newer packs.

In fact, you might be better off buying backwards, as the new hotness is so tempting, and there's sometimes a counter or equivalent for each corp card among the runner cards and vice versa. If not in the same pack, at least in the same cycle.

Make an account at netrunnerdb.com, import decks to jinteki.net and train there. Get the Net Deck app if you have an iOS device, as it's handy and can upload decks to both sites. For Android there's this one, but it doesn't have NRDB or Jinteki upload.

-----

tl;dr: It looks like you already have everything you need to play, maybe top up the deluxes if you don't have all four to put the corps on even footing. Learn deckbuilding (use NRDB) to make it more varied. You'll enjoy the game more when you start seeing the combinations. LCGs are really two games, where making the decks is the most challenging bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need only one core set if you want to play casually by two people. You'll be able to have one corporation and one runner deck which is enough for two people.

If you would like to have separate decks for both players then a second core is necessary. I advise against it though - one core set gives a lot of playtime (you have 4 different corporations and 3 different runners, which gives you 24 different matches if both players want to explore both sides).

Once this is done - you'll know if you want to expand or not. If you really want to expand your card pool - deluxe sets are favored, which have better cost2cards ratio and are unlikely to rotate out (not that it matters in a casual environment, but still), which is going to happen to the first two cycles (Genesis and Spin respectively).

(Rotated cards are not legal for a competitive play, so you cannot use them in tournaments)

If you want to take a look at current card pool, this is the site you are looking for: http://netrunnerdb.com/

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this has been said its worth repeating by a beginner player. In the core box there are decks for:

3 runner factions
4 corporations.

You owe it to yourself to play at least one game with each. That's 7 times.

You more than likely will want to play some more than once to really get the flavor. So at minimum you are already at 10 plays!

Sure you are at the most basic level but I can assure you that even basic core netrunner is FUN!

So stop wondering and get playing! You aren't going to need to start putting together decks seriously for the first 10 or more plays, it takes a while to really get a feel for the different sides and the different factions on each side. Then you can start tinkering and seeing how adding cards in changes the flow of the game.

Seriously, get playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought:

You could try using Jinteki.net to find opponents remotely then buy the expansions when you decide it's worth it for you.

Jinteki provides all the expansions so you can certainly play with just the core cards.

I've found that using Skype when playing games over the web using systems like vassal, OCTGN or Jinteki.net can make for a really enjoyable learning experience.

Since I'm also learning Android, I would be happy to try this out with you sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks for all of the replies everyone. I feel simultaneously both less and more overwhelmed by this game, but in a good way.

Good to know that the game is a standalone that we can play here at home right of out the box. Seems like a good place to start!

And Jeb, let me get to grips with the basics and then when I am able to find the time to check out Jinteki.net (not easy with work, small kids, a bucket-load of other games to play, and Twilight Struggle now on IOS), I would love to take you up on your offer of trying out this with you if that still stands down the line.

I really appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thurman

California
msg tools
mb
For 2 people just the core set is fine. You will only be able to make 1 runner deck and 1 corporation deck at the same time. Of course you can keep making different runner and corporation decks.That's part of the fun, trying different types of decks. After you get comfortable with the game find a local game store and see if they have any Netrunner nights. That's where you really get things going. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.