J V
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m sure some groups had the same reaction after finishing the campaign as mine: that was a real nice campaign and we should keep playing ... but it seems all games will be similar from now on, because it’s rather clear which factions are the strongest (and weakest) so there’s no sense in picking the other ones (which probably even lack Missile / Comeback powers - at least it was like this for our game).

So here’s what we did. It’s not that original and I’m sure it came to mind of several other groups as well, but hey, I didn’t see anybody writing about it here, so I’m doing it.

– Randomly assign the remaining faction modifiers (Scars, Comeback Powers and Missile Powers). Maybe even Private Missions, but at least in our campaign, not a single Private Mission was finished, so we just left them out.

– Some factions will after that still be clearly stronger or weaker than the other, and if the group has played 15 games, they will know which factions are good and which aren’t. We decided that even after distributing all powers, two factions would still never be picked. So we let the weakest factions start with a VP token. Yes, that is rather strong and in the first game, both factions were picked, but on the other hand both didn’t win (although one came very close to it).
I’m not too sure about this. Instead of giving them a VP token, one could also think about giving them one or two coin cards or missiles to start with.

Draft missiles (or distribute them evenly). In the normal campaign, it probably made sense that the person with the most wins has the most missiles (or maybe not, but that’s another topic). But now, they should not get this advantage in all games. We decided to add “missile packages” to the draft. With 4 players, we had 5-4-3-3 missiles, that worked fine. You could probably make that 5-5-3-2 as well. (For 5 players, 5-4-3-2-1 is the way to go of course.)

Two easy things which add variety to every single game:

1. Make a random faction the “Lead Faction” for this game before starting the draft. Maybe even roll for 2nd place, just to make sure you don't have to do it after everybody picked.

2. Give the factions random Homelands. Pretty self-explanatory, some continents are just better than the other.

We played game 17 with some of these and had a blast, will definitely continue meeting just to test out some new strategies that came up with all the new options that came up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a different approach:
homelands and lead faction continue to be used but are either locked based on the first 15 games or you keep counting.

comeback powers can get assigned in 16+, and other stuff.

Drafting missiles seems like a nice idea actually.

Yeah, this approach is a lot like if the game didn't actually end at 15 at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Matt
msg tools
The one thing we did was made another draft item names tags for the different people who played the campaign. This allowed you to draft that person, and any name continent's, cities, and nukes they had. It made drafting a lot more interesting and varied up everyone's strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Parliament
msg tools
mb
This sounds like a good way to keep the game going and interesting. I would recommend the two coin card idea rather than the free point idea.

I also used draftable missiles for a variant. The image is below for you to print off if you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would this get added to the number you get from having signed the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.