Subject: When should you let a black hole swallow your ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lisa Johnson
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello all! This is my first time posting on BGG. My husband and I are working on a game called Devil's Vortex. It is a 2-6 player game. The theme surrounds the player navigating the gravity well of a black hole. The singularity also pulls in debris and creates anomalies which can help or hurt your progress. Players roll ten six-sided dice to determine movement, debris entry into the gravity well as well as global effects coming from the singularity. Not trying to hawk our site but I'm not sure that I'm describing this well and this page has a much better explanation:
http://www.luffgames.com/devil-s-vortex

So, here is our dilemma. We have two levels of play for two different play-styles.

At it's core the game is a fast-paced fun race to achieve escape-velocity while navigating the debris and the gravitational forces. The 10 dice mean that there is a lot of luck involved. There also might be player elimination if the rolls are bad enough. I still love this basic game as it is always surprising me. Almost every time I play there will be a moment of "that's never happened before!" ... and we have been play-testing this since March. The only problem I see with it is that it is not very dense.

Enter the advanced game: Player still must navigate the field but they have multiple ships in their fleet in case of disasters. Not only are they navigating the field, they are collecting debris for contracts and delivering them to a marketplace. To mitigate some of the luck elements, there are achievements involved when the rolls get rough and the player can collect tokens that will give them advantages. In other words, this turns the luck-based race game into a quasi-Euro game.

So - do we try to market the race game by itself and hope it takes... or do we offer the simple race (which is a solid game) as a tutorial or first-level game but market the Euro-style game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Oh, definitely go all the way! Past the event horizon.
This is likely to appeal to people who want a little more from their games, and if you can put it all together in one package then by all means do.
Cool idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you have a decent game now go with it - nothing prevents also marketing a more advanced game "in the same universe" when the kinks are worked out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Johnson
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response! That's interesting. It was our original intention to try it this way. I think I got nervous because this is our first title

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.