Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Brown
United States
Spring City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if US Sub Commanders earned medals or ribbons for reaching certain tonnage goals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
Does anyone know if US Sub Commanders earned medals or ribbons for reaching certain tonnage goals?

Tonnage goals? Not that I'm aware of.

I know that Pacific theater WW2 submarines could earn Battle Stars, Navy Unit Commendations & Citations, and the officers & crew could earn the various medals for heroism (Navy Cross, MoH, Purple Heart). I recall that many submarine crews would mount a broom to the mast upon return to port if they sunk every target they engaged - the "Clean Sweep".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Spring City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I started reading Silent Victory by Clay Blair Jr., but I didn't get too far yet. Plus there are other good books I'm reading also. But I know the answer regarding medals is in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Clear the Bridge" by O'Kane is another good choice for your reading - captain of USS Tang and her 5 war patrols. From my reading, high sunk tonnage usually manifested as promotions & commendations for officers and crew, and sometimes in a Presidential Unit Citation for the boat. But I don't recall any direct correlation between sunk tonnage and specific awards. Even if there were, I wonder how all that would have played out considering the results of the various reassessments into tonnage that occurred in the years following the war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Spring City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for the Gato Leader Campaign Log Medal Variant I posted, I used the following tonnage for medals:

• Bronze Star – must sink at least a total of 50,000 tons of merchant shipping
• Silver Star – must have earned the Bronze Star on a previous patrol, and sink at least a total of 100,000 tons of merchant shipping
• Navy Cross – must have earned the Silver Star on a previous patrol, and sink at least a total of 150,000 tons of merchant shipping

Guess it wasn't as clear cut as the Germans, who had very well defined tonnage goals for medals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.