Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play again last night. We enjoyed it more now that we have a better grasp of the situation and the rules, but I came out of it with more questions.

(1) Does overstacking play any part in retreat priorities? It appears not, so you would retreat into an overstacked area that was adjacent to one enemy-controlled area in preference to an empty area adjacent to two.

(2) When the supply dump is found, if it is discovered by a fire attack, does the attack happen? I would think not, but the rule didn't seem to say it explicitly.

(3) The supply dump is not revealed until enemy units attempt to conduct a ranged fire attack (I assume that would include "ranged" fire inside the area) or try to exit the area. It is therefore entirely possible that they will get to the end of the turn that they enter it without discovering the dump. Does that mean they can regroup out of the area, as it has not been revealed?

(4) Regrouping says you can move to a Vacant area. Is that correct? Not any friendly area, only a vacant one? (This is not like other games using the system.)

(5) Do you have to do something if a leader recovers units in his area an exhaustion level? It says they conduct their impulse after recovering, but sometimes I just want to recover to be in better shape to defend. I can game this to some extent by having one or more units attempt to entrench (provided their are IP markers left), but I couldn't tell if I could just do nothing else besides recovering the units.

As I said, we enjoyed the game more and made much better use of our pieces in the third play. We still didn't find a single occasion to infiltrate or patrol, however, so I'm curious if other players have used them and in what circumstances. As the American, I considered patrolling several times, but the highest I could get was an 8 and mostly less than that. The fact that Japanese units (at least in our games) are usually in large stacks made it difficult to get good odds. (This is rolling 2 dice, right?) Since Americans often can't recover all their units at the end of a turn, it seems risky to take the chance of failing and having to go spent.

Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcroxton wrote:

(1) Does overstacking play any part in retreat priorities? It appears not, so you would retreat into an overstacked area that was adjacent to one enemy-controlled area in preference to an empty area adjacent to two.

(2) When the supply dump is found, if it is discovered by a fire attack, does the attack happen? I would think not, but the rule didn't seem to say it explicitly.

(3) The supply dump is not revealed until enemy units attempt to conduct a ranged fire attack (I assume that would include "ranged" fire inside the area) or try to exit the area. It is therefore entirely possible that they will get to the end of the turn that they enter it without discovering the dump. Does that mean they can regroup out of the area, as it has not been revealed?

(4) Regrouping says you can move to a Vacant area. Is that correct? Not any friendly area, only a vacant one? (This is not like other games using the system.)

(5) Do you have to do something if a leader recovers units in his area an exhaustion level? It says they conduct their impulse after recovering, but sometimes I just want to recover to be in better shape to defend. I can game this to some extent by having one or more units attempt to entrench (provided their are IP markers left), but I couldn't tell if I could just do nothing else besides recovering the units.

Thank you for the questions. I will try to respond succinctly

1. See 7.1 "Units may not end a move into...or voluntarily end a retreat into an Area already containing 10 friendly platoon sized units..."

2. No, the ranged fire attack does not happen.

3. It is entirely possible that they do not discover the supply dump during the impulse phase. If they try to regroup out that is a form of exiting and they may not do so. It triggers the consequences of the Dump.

4. The rule actually says "...by moving them one Area into any adjacent Vacant Areas that they control." So it would have to be a friendly Vacant area.

5. Rule 18.3 indicates that the units that have been "recovered" may do an impulse. They do not have to. Note that there is errata in this rule. The first sentence should say Each American and Japanese... (that doesn't have anything to do with your question I just wanted to repeat it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.