Bloodborne: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunter's Dream - Damage From Multiple Sources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Wise
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
This came up in our playthrough tonight. Damage is halved during the Hunter's Dream. However, I am unsure how it is calculated with rounding down from multiple sources. For instance Cannon states "Inflict 1 damage to each of the other hunters." If this card is played and the monster attacks for 1 in the same round is the damage 2*(1/2)=1 or 1*(1/2) + 1*(1/2)=0. I wasn't sure if halving occurs once per round or per source of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
You only halve the damage taken from the monster attacks according to page 12 of the rules under step 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Middleton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure I 100% agree with you. The Hunter's Dream card says "any" damage you take is halved. So I would saw that applies to friendly fire. The reference you are referring to on page 12" If you play a Hunter’s Dream card, your Hunter does not take part in the fight, but you may still be damaged by the Monster’s attacks! Fortunately, you can minimize the damage suffered: you only take half of the damage inflicted by the Monster’s Attack, rounded down." This only talk about the benefits of you using the Hunter's Dream card to protect yourself from the monster's attacks. No where in the rule book does it talk about our situation that we have in question. I've played about a dozen different people and they all think that the damage done by hunters is halved as well. I want to know how others have been playing it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hula
United States
flag msg tools
I interpret the card literally. ANY damage you take this round.

Just like on the Flamesprayer, you take double damage any time that you take any at all. The Flamesprayer especially makes sense. When you got hit by Cannon fire, a Molotov Cocktail, and the monster, you're in the thick of the battle and (potentially) get murdered.

However, if you take half of one rounded down each of those sources, you don't take any damage from those effects. That seems reasonable as the Hunter's Dream is supposed to be a safe zone. You're NOT in the thick of battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxous wrote:
I'm not sure I 100% agree with you. The Hunter's Dream card says "any" damage you take is halved. So I would saw that applies to friendly fire. The reference you are referring to on page 12" If you play a Hunter’s Dream card, your Hunter does not take part in the fight, but you may still be damaged by the Monster’s attacks! Fortunately, you can minimize the damage suffered: you only take half of the damage inflicted by the Monster’s Attack, rounded down." This only talk about the benefits of you using the Hunter's Dream card to protect yourself from the monster's attacks. No where in the rule book does it talk about our situation that we have in question. I've played about a dozen different people and they all think that the damage done by hunters is halved as well. I want to know how others have been playing it as well.

Indeed, this isn't clear. Since the rules specifically state that it halves the monster attacks, I assumed all other rules are normal. But, as you said, the card does definitely say "any damage" which is a discrepancy with the rules.

I'm going to go ahead and start playing that the hunter's dream halves each individual attack regardless of the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is:

Does it make the dream too powerful? In our game, it seemed hard to kill someone because they just get damaged and then go into the dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death is really rare in our games when played that all damage is individually halved. I'm going to start playing that you total up the damage from both the monster and any hunter-inflicted damage and half that number.

Seems like a good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Do we have any anwser yet?

Do we sum all damage then halve it or halve each damage as they come?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No answer yet. We've played you do not sum the damage, so you halve each set of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asked Eric on Twitter and sent him this thread but no response unfortunately. Does anyone from CMON answer rules questions on here like other publishers do? I love the core mechanics of this game but have some ambiguities regarding when things happen, including here (though for this one I lean towards halving individual pings though agree that it makes death way too rare).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed ages ago, and they said they were going to look into it, but then ... nothing. Maybe worth multiple people asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.