Subject: Another Automa Example 3 Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, trying to buckle down and get the rules solid this weekend and came across one point of confusion. I saw some other questions about Example 3 but not this one...

It wouldn't change where the worker moved, but shouldn't the two "2" hexes also adjacent to the Crimea units (mech & character) also be labeled with an "*" in addition to the factory space adjacent to the mech?

In the red box it states "Note: Territories marked with an * cannot be chosen. [sic] because they're in the neighborhood of enemy combat units."

I assumed the character is considered a combat (plastic) unit too, as well as the mech but regardless seems at least one of them should have * as well.

It doesn't change where the worker would go in that example, but what if it was a tie and you used the reading rules...then by the example photo the worker could end up in one of those two spots there as a valid move or am I missing something?

I'd planned to spend the weekend playing...but so far it's been setup and rules exercise (but that's fun too).

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReddWolf wrote:

It wouldn't change where the worker moved, but shouldn't the two "2" hexes also adjacent to the Crimea units (mech & character) also be labeled with an "*" in addition to the factory space adjacent to the mech?

In the red box it states "Note: Territories marked with an * cannot be chosen. [sic] because they're in the neighborhood of enemy combat units."

I assumed the character is considered a combat (plastic) unit too, as well as the mech but regardless seems at least one of them should have * as well.

The character is considered a combat unit, but the character is unable to cross the river into the hex with the 4 (Crimea's riverwalk only goes to tundra and farms, that is why the 2 immediately east of the character has a * because it is a farm, but the 4 to the SE does not because it is a forest).

The Crimea mech cannot move onto any lakes, so it cannot move to the lake directly east of it, so again, it doesn't have an * either.

For a hex to be "in the neighbourhood" of a unit, that unit must be able to move there, in these two cases they cannot (cannot cross river to village, cannot enter lake) so these two hexes you are asking about are "valid hexes" for the automa.

It seems tough at first, but once you get the hang of it, the AI is actually quite simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
The character is considered a combat unit, but the character is unable to cross the river into the hex with the 4 (Crimea's riverwalk only goes to tundra and farms, that is why the 2 immediately east of the character has a * because it is a farm, but the 4 to the SE does not because it is a forest).

The Crimea mech cannot move onto any lakes, so it cannot move to the lake directly east of it, so again, it doesn't have an * either.

For a hex to be "in the neighbourhood" of a unit, that unit must be able to move there, in these two cases they cannot (cannot cross river to village, cannot enter lake) so these two hexes you are asking about are "valid hexes" for the automa.

It seems tough at first, but once you get the hang of it, the AI is actually quite simple.
Ah, the lake makes sense now...duh, I figured I was missing something. Still have to grasp the selective riverwalk stuff. Only all encompassing riverwalk is for the automa when gained.

I was still confused by the east one and was about to take a picture when I finally saw it. The white * had been completely invisible to me on the yellow background (and I even had my glasses on)!

Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReddWolf wrote:

Thank you!!

No problem at all!

I recommend trying a playthrough (and using the handy automa reference cards) and then reading through this list of common automa mistakes. It takes a little bit to get over the learning curve of the automa, but once you are there it makes a lot of sense and is very easy to execute. Just stick to it and it will make sense, I promise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
ReddWolf wrote:

Thank you!!

No problem at all!

I recommend trying a playthrough (and using the handy automa reference cards) and then reading through this list of common automa mistakes. It takes a little bit to get over the learning curve of the automa, but once you are there it makes a lot of sense and is very easy to execute. Just stick to it and it will make sense, I promise!

Yeah, trying it out is definitely the way to go. There's a learning curve initially, so don't worry about that and don't worry about making mistakes initially.

Everybody I've heard from has said that there's a learning curve, but then at some point it clicks and it's smooth running from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.