Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else upset that there's only 4 scenarios? 1st Ed. had 5, 2nd Ed. only 4. Also, I wish they could have imported one or more of the 1st Ed. scenarios especially for folks (like me) who have the 1st Ed. and used the conversion kit.

/end rant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really. I have all the 1e stuff plus 2e. When they release the 1e expansions they are releasing 2 more scenarios. I do not play the same game a lot thought over a short period of time, so I doubt I'll get through all 4 current scenarios before 2 more are released. If I am reading right, the 2 new ones will be targeted towards the 1e stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think about number of scenarios but rather length of total unique play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not too bothered. I rather have 4 good scenarios than 5 scenarios with two bad ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 less isn't a big deal, and one is pegged at a 6 hour playtime - and with the app it's very easy for them to add more scenarios in a simple update than have to wait to compile an entire new book to offer a decent count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the 1st edition scenarios (all of them), and don't need to play them again. I'm glad they focused on new scenarios, and think there's plenty of content in the base game to keep me entertained for a good long while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't only three of the five first edition scenarios even worth playing? I thought the first two were critically panned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Actually, YES, I am upset. That's one of the biggest issues I have with MoM 2nd Edition. The game is absolutely outstanding but there are only so few scenarios. Frankly, you can "finish" the game (aka all 4 scenarios) in one week. And then what? Well, then you put the game back on the shelf and forget about it.

This game needs A LOT of scenarios. I want new stories, new mysteries to unravel. It is the first time in 20 years of playing and collecting board games that I feel that a game needs more meat on its bones. So far I have always been satisfied with what the games had in their original box.

Not this time. More scenarios, please. And quickly, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Smith
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, more scenarios please. Absolutely love this game.

In addition, more replay-ability of existing scenarios would be nice. For instance, varying objectives which you must discover through encounters. Eg, one time you speak to the POI he tells you the groundskeeper has the key, in another game he may tell you to visit the top of the lighthouse. And in a third something completely different might happen. Much like the choices offered to the Adam in MoM1.

Great work, though! Can't wait to see what else you have in store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit worried too, but so far I have only played the first scenario twice...

The first time with 3 of us and then again with 5. The second time the wife and I were planning to take a back seat as we knew the scenario, but when it came down to it, it was almost completely different, we were surprised!

The overarching story was of course the same, but the map, items, puzzles, locations were all different!

We were very happy about that....although I have read others that have found replays very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:
Frankly, you can "finish" the game (aka all 4 scenarios) in one week.

Really? You have a lot more play time than me, then.

You aren't likely to win every scenario with one play (I certainly didn't win S1 first time through). Even if you play each one twice, that's going to be something like 20 hours of play time, arguably a good bit more. And doesn't the app randomise the tiles to an extent, so there's some replayability built in there?

I suspect it'll be months before we've played it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of scenarios is made worse because scenario 1 is more of an introductory scenario, and scenario 2 has been known to freeze near the end. (It certainly happened to me). Which leaves 2 scenarios, one of which is 6 hours long, though the save function itself has been glitchy which can lead to starting over a six hour scenario halfway through. That leaves only 1 truly excellent and fully playable scenario.

However, I am fairly confident that the glitch issues will eventually be solved (as of V 1.0.2 they have NOT been). And I'm also confident that they will eventually release scenarios to buy within the app, similar to the print on demand packs for the first edition, but completely contained within the app itself.

If they do that, then the game will be truly AMAZING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Paul, don't hold your breath for too long.

Yes indeed, the App is randomising the tiles and the events but the story and the end of each Scenario remains the same.

I am sorry but that does nothing to me. If I already know how an Scenario ends then I am done with it. No matter how many tiles and events are randomised for the next plays.

That's why (some of us) badly need new scenarios. I hope FFG will support the game. One pack of scenarios PER YEAR is not enough. Three packs of scenarios per year? Oh yes, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:
Yes indeed, the App is randomising the tiles and the events but the story and the end of each Scenario remains the same.

I don't think this is quite right...

The ending of our 3 and 5 player games of the first scenario were completely different. The story is the same, sure...but our endings and maps were definitely different.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In our 3 player game we got the evidence and got out of the house, in our 5 player game the portal opened and we had to close it. The maps were completely different too.

I don't know what variables caused that, and it does sound like the majority of replays are more similar than ours were, but I just wanted to point out that it is possible that they play out completely differently (but with the same story)

Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my favourite game of this year by some distance, but now I've finished all four of them I don't really have much desire to do them again. I played three of the missions more than once, but haven't seen huge amounts of difference in them apart from the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery wrote:

I am sorry but that does nothing to me. If I already know how an Scenario ends then I am done with it. No matter how many tiles and events are randomised for the next plays.

I know how all the GOO's end in Eldritch Horror but that doesn't stop me from replaying them. I know how the campaign ends in descent but I'll still replay it. Hell I know how Monopoly ends each year at Christmas with the family and I still replay that each year. And so far I have played S1 *twice* so far and have had a blast both times.

I agree this game needs more scenarios down the road but I can get a lot of play time out of four scenarios, so I strongly disagree that you need to shelf it once you beat it. And as others pointed out I would rather have these four than many broken ones like what 1st edition had. Speaking of which who wants to play the Silver tablet scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
I know what you are saying TH but your argument does not hold water with me. Why?

Because EH and AH were not featuring Scenarios. Scenarios are stories: with a start - a middle and an end. EH is not doing this. In EH you are fighthing against a Great Old One. Of course you know the end: you fight Azathoth or Cthulhu or something.

MoM 2nd Edition is telling stories.

Once you know how a story ends: that's it.

You can replay it for the atmosphere (which is great), for the little details (which are great), for the different events (again, great) but not for how the story ends. You already know that.

Certainly one of the best games to appear in the last few years (Kingdom Death and Cthulhu Wars and Shadows of Brimstones are three of the other best / genius games released). We just need a sign from FFG, assuring us that we are to expect more from MoM 2nd Ed. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More short scenarios would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha
Italy
flag msg tools
It's impossible to know if FFG is using videogame logic or a boardgame logic with MoM2ed releases, but i suspect for this game they will fully embrace the videogame-as-service model to reap its benefits for themselves and the players.

In modern videogames, to keep the enjoyment high, you do not release a full game with everything it has to offer: you trickle down new things semi-regularly in a mix of free stuff and paid content. You can update and patch software at basically no cost and with very little user annoyance: a successfull business should leverage the advantages of that.
Releasing all the content in full is a bad idea for many reasons: it overwhelms new and light players, it dilutes polish and it increases bugs, it allows power-players to burn through all the content in a matter of days and forget your product the day after, and it creates release droughts that competitors can use to estabilish clones or new spins of your idea.

Will we see a fifth scenario drop in? I would be surprised if we don't, the game has been a blast with my gaming group, i can't imagine it being unsuccessfull.
Will it be free? That's on the publisher, but going by Descent's companion app precedent and seeing that there are two 50$ expansions coming which could use some extra push close to release... I would be pleased but not surprised.

This is all speculation, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:
Exupery wrote:

I don't think this is quite right...

The ending of our 3 and 5 player games of the first scenario were completely different. The story is the same, sure...but our endings and maps were definitely different.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In our 3 player game we got the evidence and got out of the house, in our 5 player game the portal opened and we had to close it. The maps were completely different too.

I don't know what variables caused that, and it does sound like the majority of replays are more similar than ours were, but I just wanted to point out that it is possible that they play out completely differently (but with the same story)

Russ

It was confirmed by a playtester that certain triggers will change the ending narrative. I imagine it's things like inspecting certain "tokens" or maybe doing certain puzzles or exploring rooms, as well as certain interactions with specific NPC's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biscuits409 wrote:
The lack of scenarios is made worse because scenario 1 is more of an introductory scenario, and scenario 2 has been known to freeze near the end. (It certainly happened to me). Which leaves 2 scenarios, one of which is 6 hours long, though the save function itself has been glitchy which can lead to starting over a six hour scenario halfway through. That leaves only 1 truly excellent and fully playable scenario.

Summarized quite well. So, the ratio of scenarios is roughly same as in the 1ed, where (Forbidden alchemy included) 1/4 of Scenarios were actually playable.

Based on the previous, I'm inclined to call it norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only slightly (although I haven't even played them). A few more would've made me very satisfied but I'm not bothered since it's practically a given that more will be coming (on top of the 2 already announced - though you may need to get the packs to have access to those scenarios).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Farley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fatesadvent wrote:
Only slightly (although I haven't even played them). A few more would've made me very satisfied but I'm not bothered since it's practically a given that more will be coming (on top of the 2 already announced - though you may need to get the packs to have access to those scenarios).

You will not need the new packs to be able to play the two new scenarios when the packs are released so, therefore, the new scenarios will be accessible to the first edition owners as stated on the FFG website where it says:

"If you already have the First Edition components, no need to pick up the Collections. You can use your existing pieces to play the new scenarios when they release this fall."

So the app will just be updated with the two new scenarios once the products are released. Whether new scenarios after these two are released will continue to be free or cost money remains to be seen.

I hope we get further scenarios before the end of the year and that they continue to innovate concerning the branching nature of the stories. I am thoroughly enjoying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil mccrackin
msg tools
soakman wrote:

It was confirmed by a playtester that certain triggers will change the ending narrative. I imagine it's things like inspecting certain "tokens" or maybe doing certain puzzles or exploring rooms, as well as certain interactions with specific NPC's.

That's exactly what it is. Like in episode three, how many of the family survive, means not a different adventure but a few different lines of text on the conclusion screen. Just like the "replayability" nonsense, it's lip service, so they can include it in the marketing literature. They're hoping noone notices until a month after they've got your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was actually pleasantly surprised at how quickly Descent got a full campaign. Lotta people complaining about the starter scenario which was really basic and short. I don't recall how long it took, but suddenly there was a fully playable campaign.

I wouldn't worry about additional scenarios. They'll arrive. Passive aggresive impatience won't speed anything up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.