Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to use dice with Sentinels to replace the chits, but always forget. I finally remembered to stick a couple of bricks in my case for a game day today and tried it, and they worked just as well as I'd hoped. So much faster and easier than fiddling with the chips constantly, and also easier to see at a glance how many HP people have. They're especially useful for decks that put out a lot of small targets, like Captain Cosmic.

One tip I'd suggest is put dice on 5s, not 6s; it makes it a lot easier to add up HP quickly since most people can count/multiply by 5 in their head faster than by 6.

I used two of the Chessex dice bricks, 36 small six-sided dice per brick, and it was plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just use d10s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have yet to find an optimal solution and switch between a varaity of different means; 2x d10, dials, iPad app, and even knitting counters (dials used to track the knit one, pearl twos I guess).

With the counter chits we have found it easier to stack all of a hero or villain's HP on their card and subtract hits from it rather than adding hits to it. That way it's much easier to determine highest and lowest HP on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

With the counter chits we have found it easier to stack all of a hero or villain's HP on their card and subtract hits from it rather than adding hits to it. That way it's much easier to determine highest and lowest HP on the fly.

We've found this much easier as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyCrisco wrote:
Robrob wrote:

We've found this much easier as well.

Same thing, but we use poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Wait, you're not supposed to subtract HP from the cards? <.< Who would do otherwise?

When playing by myself, I just write everything down in a Notepad file, which lets me keep track of other effects, as well as when they'll end. Wouldn't work for multiple players, though. I like the percentile dice idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:

When playing by myself, I just write everything down in a Notepad file, which lets me keep track of other effects, as well as when they'll end. Wouldn't work for multiple players, though. I like the percentile dice idea.

Me too, but in a physical spiral bound notebook.
I've tried a really nice and minimalist score tracker app, but just prefer pencil and line paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find satisfaction in subtracting large amounts of chips from targets when they get crushed by a big hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
I'm using a combo of different colored d10s for HP, bingo marker chips for various effects / power tokens, and pawns to track sources of effects.

Each pack cost a few bucks. Makes it easier to follow everything in a large game with 4-5 heroes, villain (team) and environment where every deck is throwing out various powers and effects and targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give an example of how you use the bingo chips and pawns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a mix of dice including Spin Down d20s that are commonly used as life totals in Magic: The Gatherer. They are numbered 1 thru 20 in numerical order, not randomized, so it makes it easier to just move them a little and you don't have to go searching for a specific number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like a bunch of dice would just be significantly more fiddly than the tokens that come with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Game with your family, it really is wonderful.
badge
B.F.W.M.F.W.H.E.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiphead wrote:

Very cool! Where does one get this? Is it double sided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Porter
United States
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abysmul wrote:
Very cool! Where does one get this? Is it double sided?

Yes, double-sided, with 50-90 on the back.

I believe, designed by...

Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

For links, see my post, here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.