Subject: Ambushes on solo Knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Cetnar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe I'm just missing it in the rules ... but in a solo Knight game. What are the ambush tiles? Are you drawing from the monster deck? Or is something else attacking you (and, if so, what strength is it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Topgun505 wrote:
Maybe I'm just missing it in the rules ... but in a solo Knight game. What are the ambush tiles? Are you drawing from the monster deck? Or is something else attacking you (and, if so, what strength is it)?

In a solo Knight game, use the Goblin Infestation variant card. You'll be using the War/Monster/Secrets cards from the Goblin player, and executing their Ambush text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Topgun505 wrote:

In a solo Knight game, use the Goblin Infestation variant card. You'll be using the War/Monster/Secrets cards from the Goblin player, and executing their Ambush text.
This. Depending on which difficulty level you choose, the Goblin Infestation card determines what attacks you when you reveal an ambush.

The Strength 2 Goblins are pretty easy but are great for learning the game. Strength 3 Goblins can put up a decent challenge at times, but it's by far the most interesting when you use Monsters because they can really catch you off guard at times (each Monster has its own individual strength value, plus an additional effect that applies if it hits you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through my first play through as a solo knight and this part threw me.

So when an ambush occurs,
if I want it to be fairly easy, just a straight 2 strength to defeat the goblin.
if I want it to be harder, just a straight 3 strength to defeat the goblin.
If I want a challenge, draw a monster card and read the ambush effects.

is this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:
I just went through my first play through as a solo knight and this part threw me.

if I want it to be fairly easy, just a straight 2 strength to defeat the goblin.

is this right?
Your own strength value needs to be one higher than the Goblin strength to guarantee success (you have to roll if strengths are equal), but otherwise you've got it right.

If you find the solo variant to be too hard, too easy, or you just want more variety beyond those three ambush levels, you can also add in the Difficulty cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:

is this right?

This part threw me as well. Just to be perfectly clear, the player can choose what level/type of ambush occurs from the three options listed above. Is that right? And you could choose whichever you want for each ambush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Just to be perfectly clear, the player can choose what level/type of ambush occurs from the three options listed above. Is that right? And you could choose whichever you want for each ambush?

If you are playing either of the first two, you treat the goblins as either 2 or 3 and only draw a monster if you have the appropriate side quest card; if you are playing at the monster level, you always draw a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Could you point out where that is explained in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Thanks. Could you point out where that is explained in the rules?

Knight solo rules (pg 16) says to choose difficulty level normal, tough, or monster. The Goblin Infestation variant card (which you use when playing Knight solo) says normal is goblin strength 2, hard is goblin strength 3, and monster is draw a monster card and resolve ambush text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
the player can choose what level/type of ambush occurs from the three options listed above. Is that right? And you could choose whichever you want for each ambush?

When you start the game, you choose which difficulty you wish to play for that game. The ambush type will be the same for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.