9 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just got Zombicide:BP and have a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vindicator Hodoon
msg tools
mb
Hi all! I'm new to the game and also got the Stefan Kopinski guest box. I just have some inquiries regarding the rules:

Regarding Azure:

1. With Swordsmaster as his opening trait, this doesn't translate to me having 2 short swords on the get-go, right?

2. How does dual wielding work? For example, in one action, I already have +1 die to combat and am surrounded by 5 walkers. I have a pair of short swords and want to attack. Do I treat the die rolls per weapon separately or do I treat them as one?

Let's say I rolled two 3s with my left sword and two 5s with my right. Will I score a hit with only one weapon?

3. On multiple hits, let's say I rolled four 5s with both, does that mean I can kill 4 walkers in my space or only 2 (one per weapon)?

4. I'm assuming I can equip 2 hammers. With a damage of 2 each, am I allowed to kill an abomination?

Regarding Zombies:

5. Do room-spawned zombies stay where they are or do they also gravitate towards the survivors?

Regarding trades and enchantments:

6. Does one need to be next to the companion to initiate a trade?

7. I understood the heal enchantment as being used only once per action but can be traded to another player, keeping this card "alive". Did I get this wrong, as it looks a bit overpowered. Unless it is vital for red zones.

Regarding House Rules:

8. How do you play quests for 6+ with only 2 players, but want to just use one figure each?

Thanks!

I enjoy the fact that this game doesn't need a full group of friends to play and has a high replay value, due to the quests. Now I just need to find a way to store both game boxes into one easy to carry toolbox. Also, need to find more equipment and vault cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. edit: See Jorgen's post below.

2. You roll all dice at once (there's an example on page 32 of the rules). You need to roll a 4+ (IIRC) for a hit so you'd score two hits.

3. You have 4 hits.

4. No, each hit would only deal 2 damage to the abomination and therefor wouldn't kill it.

5. They have the same movement rules as all other zombies.

6. Yes, you need to be in the same area as the other survivor. This is explained on page 20 of the rules:
Quote:
At the cost of one Action, a Survivor can reorganize the cards in his inventory in any way he wishes. e Survivor can simultaneously exchange any number of cards with one (and only one) other Survivor currently in the same Zone. is other Survivor reorganizes his own inventory for free.
A Trade Action doesn’t have to be fair; you can trade every- thing for nothing, if both parties agree!

7. I'm not sure on this one but as it says 'Once per turn...' I'd assume that you could trade it after using it. You'll lose one action because of the trade though so it's not that overpowered in my opinion.

8. I don't, so I can't really comment on that, but one way would be to reduce spawn tokens.

I hope I was able to help. Glad you're enjoying the game! More vault weapons are included in the NPC-1 and NPC-2 zombie packs or you could just make your own custom ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) no, it just gives you the ability to dual wield those weapons but you must first find/exchange for them.

2) dual-wielding lets you combine the dice of both weapons in a single combat action, a +1 die to combat is applied per weapon so while dualwielding is applied twice, each hit scored with any of the dice is a hit that you can use to kill a zombie (so rolling 4 hits lets you kill 4 zombies, regardless which weapon provided the die).
without dualwielding, you can only use a single weapon even if you have 2 equipped in hand, reducing your nr of dice.

3) you can kill 1 zombie per each die roll that meets the to hit nr, if you somehow roll 20 dice and 12 of those achieve a hit, then 12 zombies could be killed (assuming the hits do enough damage to kill the ones present ie 2 damage hits to kill a fattie or 3 for an abomination)

4) you never combine hits, each hit is treated on its own whether it can kill that type of zombie or not, so no you cannot kill the abom with 2 strength-2 hits (unless a skill gives you +1 damage to your hits)

5) all zombies on the board search for survivors to attack.

6) you need to be in the same zone on the board to trade (unless a skill allows trading over a distance though not sure if there is such a skill at current)

7) the "heal" allows each survivor toheal one wound per turn if they have it in hand, so while this could possibly heal a lot in a single turn it would also use a lot of actions to trade/heal 1/trade/heal 1, its dependent on the situations you might have to choose between a combat action to kill 4 zombies or just heal 1 wound to keep a survivor alive.
at red level, killing zombies before they hit you will prevent more damage than if you heal 1 wound instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of these have been covered, so.

8.) Don't.
The game is designed to scale upwards - adding spawn-points, but scaling downwards could really break the game, especially if you're new - removing specific spawn-points would make particular areas of the board MUCH easier to get to, and without removing them, you'd be overrun.

Most of the games of Z:BP we play are 2 people each controlling 3 survivors. It really isn't that difficult to do (the dashboards keep everything together, and keep track), so I'd just do that.

Obviously, if you REALLY don't want to play multiple characters each, there are things you could try (extra actions, fewer zombies), but remember that none of those will have been play-tested, so you're likely to get some wildly varied results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers to question 1 above were contradictory, so I thought I'd cear things up:

1) You must give only one Starting Equipment card to each Survivor. Nobody can start with two unless they have a "Starts With" Skill. The rues were a little ambiguous here, but official clarifications have stated it's only one card each from the Starting Equipment.

And I also strongly agree that you should always play with 3 Survivors each when playing 2-player. That's how the game is balanced.

Having said that, I do not recommend using the turn order in the rules with two players, as that will leave you having 6 turns in a row each, activating your Survivors at the end of one Round and at the start of the next. I suggest you use alternating turns instead, with each player activating one Survivor.

This variant barely changes the difficulty, but will make playing multiple Survivors a lot more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying this, Jorgen!

We also use alternating turns when playing two player. In addition to that we can pick whatever survivor who wasn't already activated this round. In my opinion this makes the game feel more fluid with only two players.

When playing solo I always activate the survivors in a specific order (like you would when playing with six players) to add a little difficulty and strategic planning to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
When playing solo I always activate the survivors in a specific order (like you would when playing with six players) to add a little difficulty and strategic planning to the game.

Me too!

I agree with your two-player approach too as being the better way to play the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The answers to question 1 above were contradictory, so I thought I'd cear things up:

1) You must give only one Starting Equipment card to each Survivor. Nobody can start with two unless they have a "Starts With" Skill. The rues were a little ambiguous here, but official clarifications have stated it's only one card each from the Starting Equipment.

And I also strongly agree that you should always play with 3 Survivors each when playing 2-player. That's how the game is balanced.

Having said that, I do not recommend using the turn order in the rules with two players, as that will leave you having 6 turns in a row each, activating your Survivors at the end of one Round and at the start of the next. I suggest you use alternating turns instead, with each player activating one Survivor.

This variant barely changes the difficulty, but will make playing multiple Survivors a lot more fun.

In a 2 player game I pretend like we are playing with 6 players and we choose one hero to have the first player token and then we go in clockwise order around the board activating each hero. then after the spawn phase we move the first player token counter-clockwise one hero.

It definitely makes it harder to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
Thor Odinson wrote:
Regarding House Rules:

8. How do you play quests for 6+ with only 2 players, but want to just use one figure each?

I suggest multiple survivors, however if you must...

Assign each spawn zone a number (1, 2, 3, etc) if there are 3 zones assign each two numbers. When it is time to spawn zombies roll a number of dice equal to the starting number of spawn zones minus one per two players under the suggested character count. Spawn zombies at the zone indicated by each die, reroll any die that has a value not assigned to a zone.

So with 2 characters in a 6+ map you would roll two fewer dice then there are starting spawn zones. This may make one zone spawn multiple cards of zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.