Subject: What can neutral US and USSR do before entering the war? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I've seen mixed comments in the forum. From one Q&A, they can only move units by TRS and perform LL. From other session reports, move and fight, eg, USSR invading Near East. Can they at least move units within home country? In one game the Axis conquered Turkey before USSR entry and the Soviets could not move to reinforce the Caucauses, being frozen in place (of course, could build there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is probably easier to say what neutral major power cannot do. I'll offer a list from the top of my head and please accept my apologies if I overlook something.

Neutral major powers...

(1) cannot freely declare war. See 3.2 in the rules. The USA can't declare war on anyone. The USSR can declare war on most countries except Germany and those minors in the (I'm using a loose term here) German sphere of influence.

(2) cannot produce fully. See 7.7. A neutral major power's entry level is also the number of its own total Oil + Resources it may use (to buy stuff, or to give away via Lend Lease).

(3) cannot move units to a sea area other than a TRS or LL. See 4.2. Other units may rebase (see 5.1), but the rebase must start and end in a land area in the unit's home country.

(4) cannot move land units outside of the unit's home country unless the unit is a GAR. See 5.2.

That's a fair bit of restriction, but there are some things you can do. The USA, for example, could use a TRS to move a GAR to reinforce Midway or the Philippines. Or the USA could build up the 6th Army (located in Hawaiian Islands) during the Builds phase. However, the USA cannot withdraw the Pacific Fleet from the Hawaiian Islands back to the west coast (while a rebase is legal, the unit rebasing must start, as well as end, its rebase in its home country; the Pacific Fleet is not in its home country at start so it cannot rebase).

The USSR may declare war on the Near East or Japan. However if Germany declares war on Turkey, the USSR cannot move in to Turkey. However the USSR could definitely reposition its troops inside the USSR to get ready for the coming battle.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Thanks, Dave. Let me say, after some misgivings I've come to appreciate the subtlety and depth of the game. A real star! And thanks for being so active and respsonsive to rules questions. Much appreciated.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Jon ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.