Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Ordinary
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the basic game once, I noticed a lot of white on the card edges. It was very inconsistent and looked like card wear. Then I noticed that many of the advanced cards we had set aside also had white wear-like damage on the edges.

Because of this, it looks like a game that's been played a ton, even though I've only played one learning game with the basic components.

I see white chafing around the edges of the cards in other people's pictures, so I'm not the only one. Looks like the card cutter was dull.

Is this to be expected?

I like the art on the card backs, so if I'm going to sleeve them, I'd like to just normalize the borders: does anybody know of card sleeves that have clear backs but opaque borders?

Edit: Changed title to be more specific
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Disappointed by card quality
In my opinion, it's a matter of the paper that was used for the cards. And it's just as it should be - the copies of the game our Polish design team got from Petersen Games all have white on the edges. It's just how this material looks. The cards themselves are, however, much thicker, more firm and inflexible than in the Polish and German editions. Personally, I am very happy with the production quality of the English edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ordinary
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zucho wrote:
Personally, I am very happy with the production quality of the English edition.

Overall, the quality is outstanding. It's a beautiful game.

It's just this one issue. You can see in this other user's photo how worn the cards look. Even cards we haven't played with yet have this kind of distressed look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
You can see in this other user's photo how worn the cards look. Even cards we haven't played with yet have this kind of distressed look.

Yeah, I know. But this is all because the paper used is so freaking thick and solid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ordinary
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zucho wrote:
Aetheros wrote:
You can see in this other user's photo how worn the cards look. Even cards we haven't played with yet have this kind of distressed look.

Yeah, I know. But this is all because the paper used is so freaking thick and solid

Sounds like I'll need to be creative, or be less particular about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ordinary
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zucho wrote:
Aetheros wrote:

Do you have any recommendations on card sleeves? Since the cards are so thick, I don't know which ones would be too tight or too loose. I'm not typically a sleever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
I'm not typically a sleever.

Same here. I think Arthur Petersen (Theomachy production manager) will be able to answer your question, try messaging him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Ultra Pro Standard clear sleeves and they fit fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.