Hide
5 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defending without a leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Am I right that its perfectly legitimate to not assign a leader to a defensive battle and then (assuming you win) to move the forces used in that defence on a later movein the same turn? It seems to simultaneously comply with the letter of the rules while violating their spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right.

The leader rule seems mostly to be there to make it harder to move twice in the same turn. Locking down an army that is led in defense is a side-effect. Bypassing that by not adding a leader seems perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, defending without a leader is allowed, i dont see why this would go against the spirit of the rules, sometimes it isnt even a choice.

given you have a limited nr of leaders, choosing where/when to use them is critical.

you have to bear in mind that without a leader you cannot retreat from the battle, and depending the opposing leader's tactics value it will generally be a one-sided battle.
the chances for losing the battle/losing more units than the opponent is highly likely without a leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
Am I right that its perfectly legitimate to not assign a leader to a defensive battle and then (assuming you win) to move the forces used in that defence on a later movein the same turn? It seems to simultaneously comply with the letter of the rules while violating their spirit.

I don't think it violates the spirit of the rules at all. If you could guarantee freezing a force by attacking it, even with almost nothing, it would be nearly impossible to reach the Rebel Base in force. I think it's clearly intended to work exactly as it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu purple belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is an intended strategy in the game. The leader will help you defend, but will keep you there. Which plan you choose is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.