Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set from a cheap 1971 French Go game, and I really did not like the feel of the plastic tokens (too light to give me a sense of using a stone and with 'manufacturing' moulding points on the side). I have replaced them with nice boxwood stones, which are heavier than plastic but also warmer than the usual glass/stone tokens. They are also very smooth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get these? I've never seen wood "stones" before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are bought on the internet, in France, from a company not far off my place:
http://toutpourlejeu.com/fr/20-pions-go-et-backgammon

The pack of 5 black and 5 white stones is 1,97€

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you typically get 361 stones, which would mean you'd need 36 packs for a set, so roughly 72€? That's a little pricey, but they are pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pricey, but this is one of the most hard wood you can get on the market and I'm expecting it to get a nice patina/sheen in the long run. By the way, how many dollars does 70€ make these days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
So you typically get 361 stones, which would mean you'd need 36 packs for a set, so roughly 72€? That's a little pricey, but they are pretty cool.

You don't really need 361 stones if you are on a budget. Most games only require around 300 stones at most, so around 150 for each side will do. Also, compared to the traditional slate and shell stones, 74 EUR is a not that expensive, although, for that kind of money, why not just buy slate and shell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the internet shop has run out of the glass stones at 24€ for the complete set, but also because I wanted something different from slate and shell ones. One of the local specialties of the Franche-Comté region, specificaly in the Jura, is woodwork. These hardwood boxwood stones are wood turned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2,3 mm might be a little too big for some boards. They surely look nice, but if I recall it correctly black stones are 2,3 and White 2,2 and I have slate and shell and they already don't fit on the board... as you see in the other topic:https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1572277/slate-stones-do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.